Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlevine31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hi all-
Was wondering if anybody might have input as to extremely slow Auzureus download speeds which I'm getting. I've tried a variety of ports without any real improvement. I'm using a macbook...do I need to turn the firewall off? I'm a bit concerned about doing so security wise. I've also not forwarded my ports which I'm having trouble with and is a whole other story.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
have a (quite posibly) dumb question for you,

have you tried some different torrents? you could just be getting bad luck with seeds i know that it has happened to me

Another think that helps sometimes is LOWERING the number of connections that Azureus (or other torrent programs) make. You're better off having a few good connections rather then lots of unstable ones.

for example i have a 2Mb download and i limit a torrent to a maximum of a 100 connections and that gives me good speeds almost all the time

jlevine31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
have a (quite posibly) dumb question for you,

have you tried some different torrents? you could just be getting bad luck with seeds i know that it has happened to me

Another think that helps sometimes is LOWERING the number of connections that Azureus (or other torrent programs) make. You're better off having a few good connections rather then lots of unstable ones.

for example i have a 2Mb download and i limit a torrent to a maximum of a 100 connections and that gives me good speeds almost all the time

I actually have tried out a lot of different torrents so I don't think that's the issue? I actually only run 2 torrents at at a time (mainly because I never figured out how to do multiple downloads at one time).

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
I actually have tried out a lot of different torrents so I don't think that's the issue? I actually only run 2 torrents at at a time (mainly because I never figured out how to do multiple downloads at one time).

Actually thats not quite what i meant :) my bad for not being a bit more clear.

You can speed up Azureus by lowering the number of connections "per torrent" For example if you had Azureus set for a maximum of a 100 connections (peers) per torrent and you had 2 torrents running you could have up to 200 connections running from your computer to 200 other peers. There is also a global setting so if your global setting was 200 and you ran 3 torrents the most peers you could connect too would be 200 split between the 3.

The main reason to lower your connections is so you don't clog your upload bandwidth talking to lots peers that you don't need to talk to. If your upload pipe is clogged talking with lots of peers, then that can cause delays talking to the peers that want to send you data because that peer is waiting for your computer to tell it that your ready for the next piece of the file

So basicly if you clog up your uploading bandwidth your the one slowing the download :)

here is a link for good settings for Azureus

jlevine31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
d-fi
Can you guide me how to set my number of connections per torrent? :confused: The only place it seems you can configure it is on the "configuration wizard" but it doesn't allow me to make changes (just shows the fixed value).
Jon

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
sure no problem

I'll type this out step by step

- from the top menu click "Azureus" > then click "Preferences"

- this will open the "Options" menu, in the menu list click on "mode"

- In the mode menu there should be a beginner, intermediate and advanced boxes. Change yours from beginner to intermediate. Then click save in the bottom left corner

- Now in the "Options" menu, click "transfer" this is the menu where you make changes to your peer settings

Now i don't know what kind of connection you have so in order to figure out good settings for your computer you'll have to visit this page "Azureus good settings" Follow the directions on the page, the easiest way to do it is to figure it out your upload speed (links on page) then compare your number that you get on the speedtest with the chart "kB/s global max. upload speed" pick the setting column that is equal or less then your speed test.

After you put those settings into Azureus remember to press save in lower left corner :)

and hopefully you get a lot better download speed
let me know how you go

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
To answer your other questions

I've tried a variety of ports without any real improvement. I'm using a macbook...do I need to turn the firewall off? I'm a bit concerned about doing so security wise.

You don't need to turn off your firewall but you do have to make sure that the port you are using is open on the firewall

I've also not forwarded my ports which I'm having trouble with and is a whole other story.

Port forwarding can be a whole different kettle of fish sometimes easy sometimes a pain in the ... If you don't have a multiport router hopefully you don't need to do port forwarding, i spent hours hunting down information on the internet to get my port fowarding working right

fingers crossed that Azureus will be working great for you now :D

jlevine31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
sure no problem

I'll type this out step by step

- from the top menu click "Azureus" > then click "Preferences"

- this will open the "Options" menu, in the menu list click on "mode"

- In the mode menu there should be a beginner, intermediate and advanced boxes. Change yours from beginner to intermediate. Then click save in the bottom left corner

- Now in the "Options" menu, click "transfer" this is the menu where you make changes to your peer settings

Now i don't know what kind of connection you have so in order to figure out good settings for your computer you'll have to visit this page "Azureus good settings" Follow the directions on the page, the easiest way to do it is to figure it out your upload speed (links on page) then compare your number that you get on the speedtest with the chart "kB/s global max. upload speed" pick the setting column that is equal or less then your speed test.

After you put those settings into Azureus remember to press save in lower left corner :)

and hopefully you get a lot better download speed
let me know how you go

d-fi-
I'll play around with this a bit tonight and let you know how it comes out. Thanks a million for the help and I'll keep you posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.