Slow back-up Time Machine to external hard disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gaven, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Gaven macrumors member

Anyone experiencing slow back-up time machine to external hard disk? 90GB and I'm seeing 15 hours....

I have searched through many websites links, and can't seem to find a solution..

2. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Try with a different external hard disk. It could be the disk itself.
    I have not been experiencing slow backup times.

3. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

It's probably de to the indexing. You can turn it off through terminal or just let the machine take it's sweet time.

4. Gaven thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your input. So I will turn it off before I do the backup, and turn it back on once I'm done

5. Hacks macrumors member

What is indexing? Should it be off all the time?

6. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

If this is your first back up, you'll need to let it do its business. You may have a lot of stuff on your MacBook, which all needs to be copied over, and blah blah blah. However, you may want to go into Disk Utility and see if maybe there is something that you can do to the disk; it may need a little bit of TLC.

7. Gaven thread starter macrumors member

Hi Applefan22,

Thank you for your input.

No it's not the first time, the first time took about 3 hours and I let it run.

I do a backup about 4 months once. So I'm really wondering how to speed up the back up to my external hard disk. I googled for solutions, regarding the "mdworker" issue I don't see it on my MacBook so yeah.

8. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I suppose one thing you could do is completely Erase it, and start again, that may work... But then you may lose some data

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Console system log queries

Console is our friend.

Create a system log query, like in the attached screenshot. It'll help to focus on Time Machine-related messages.

Attached Files: