Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Is the affected machine fitted with an SSD or HDD? If the latter it seems to be the way it is. You can make a cup of tea whilst my cloned copy starts up of a fast back-up disk.

edited for punctuation

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Is the affected machine fitted with an SSD or HDD? If the latter it seems to be the way it is. You can make a cup of tea whilst my cloned copy starts up of a fast back-up disk.

edited for punctuation

I have an SSD with TRIM enabled.

This boot time reminds me of when I used to have a hard drive.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
So we have a 6-7 year old Machine.. with SSD... While the 17inch is an AMAZING machine, it is getting rather dated... I'd go back to MacOS Sierra if possible, there's really no reason to upgrade to High Sierra.

It has a quad-core Sandy Bridge processor.

That should be plenty.

Also, I just got annoyed getting prompted to upgrade to macOS High Sierra every day.

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
It has a quad-core Sandy Bridge processor.

That should be plenty.

Also, I just got annoyed getting prompted to upgrade to macOS High Sierra every day.
Sorry I forgot how apple is so bitchy nowadays. I never get prompted for updates on Mac OSX 10.9. The processor is fine, all I can say is good luck!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If it's a self upgraded SSD, disable TRIM can fix the slow boot (may be few more small issues as well).

If you don't want to disable TRIM, then revert to HFS+ can also fix this slow boot (you need to re-format your SSD. Make a clean installation via terminal, or recovery by clone is your own choice)

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
If it's a self upgraded SSD, disable TRIM can fix the slow boot (may be few more small issues as well).

If you don't want to disable TRIM, then revert to HFS+ can also fix this slow boot (you need to re-format your SSD. Make a clean installation via terminal, or recovery by clone is your own choice)

Upon further investigation, it does appear that this is an issue with the APFS introduced with High Sierra

https://cindori.org/apple-file-system-slow-boot-high-sierra/

How this slip past QA is beyond me.

Seriously, how could Apple engineers not noticed that it takes 6x as long to boot?

Or more likely, this is the byproduct of the Tim Cook era, when Apple is more concerned about selling trendy items to rich kids while everything else goes out the window.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
How this slip past QA is beyond me.

Seriously, how could Apple engineers not noticed that it takes 6x as long to boot?

Or more likely, this is the byproduct of the Tim Cook era, when Apple is more concerned about selling trendy items to rich kids while everything else goes out the window.

Well, as evident by TRIM originally only being for Apple SSDs, manually upgraded SSDs aren't very well supported by Apple

Reactions: h9826790

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
tubeexperience, I would take the wise advice from h9826790 if I were you. Go back to HFS+. I use this on my both Mac Pro's with SSDs. I cloned from a hard disk where I installed HS first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.