Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
Hey all.

I have read elsewhere that people with similar spec'd MBP can boot in 25 seconds and launch e.g. itunes in around 0,5 seconds. However on my machine i can boot (coldstart) in 37,5 seconds and boot itunes in 3,5 seconds. I find hat a bit strange,so i'm wondering what your boot times/itunes coldstart times are.

I have a 15" 2,66ghz core i7 mbp, with 8 GB ram, hi-res display and a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Just getting a little nervous that something may be wrong with the machine, since i've allways found it a little slow compared to my old 2,4 ghz core2duo mbp with 4 GB ram and a 5400 RPM HDD.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The Mac does a RAM check on startup which can take up to 10 seconds (since you have 8GB of RAM it takes that much longer). Also, the newer version of iTunes is much more bulky and takes much longer to load on HD-based machines than the older versions of iTunes, your only hope for super quick app boots would be to put an SSD in there.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
It might be a failing hard drive, but I don't think so. Have you done the basic cleaning processes? Repairing disk permissions, clearing caches, etc.

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
Thanks for the replies.

Well, I actually read that the extra ram would speed it up - from 35 to 25 seconds, and itunes from 3,5 to 0,5 seconds. Guess the opposite happened in my case... i find that really strange - and annoying. I ran a hardware test - found nothing wrong.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Again, like I said, every Mac does an automatic RAM check on startup that takes time, more time according to how much RAM you have in your machine. Even the old PowerMacs did this RAM check and took more time to startup if you had a ton of RAM installed. It does this RAM check before it POSTs. Before you see the Apple appear, I mean, before you hear the "bong". A Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM can take over 30 seconds from when you hit power to hearing the "bong." The less RAM you have, the quicker the Mac goes to POST. Your iTunes problem could just be normal, you are loading iTunes 10 from a spinning HD, which takes time on any machine. It is only fast loading iTunes from a RAID or SSD drive, from what I have seen.

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
Hey all.

I have read elsewhere that people with similar spec'd MBP can boot in 25 seconds and launch e.g. itunes in around 0,5 seconds. However on my machine i can boot (coldstart) in 37,5 seconds and boot itunes in 3,5 seconds. I find hat a bit strange,so i'm wondering what your boot times/itunes coldstart times are.

I have a 15" 2,66ghz core i7 mbp, with 8 GB ram, hi-res display and a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Just getting a little nervous that something may be wrong with the machine, since i've allways found it a little slow compared to my old 2,4 ghz core2duo mbp with 4 GB ram and a 5400 RPM HDD.

I boot my 2010 MBP ( same specs like yours only I have a CRUCIAL SSD 256Gb hard drive ) in 18 seconds...

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
I Really do appreciate your answers and ideas - Thank you.

Repairing disc permissions now. I will post the new boot time when done:)

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
So 1st boot after repairing disc permissions was a wooping 47.9 seconds, then i repaired them again and it went back down to 35 seconds.

Still strange imo. What are your specs and boot times?

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
My MBP usually takes 30-37 seconds to start. Specs are i5 2.4ghz 8gbRAM 7200rpm HDD etc etc. I think the bootup time for your Mac is pretty normal. Nothing out of the ordinary for sure if you ask me. You can always do a clean install, that usually sheds a few seconds off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.