Slow boot time after HDD and RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AUZambo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. AUZambo macrumors newbie

My MBP came with 1 gig RAM and 120 GB/5400 RPM HDD. I upgraded it soon after Christmas to 2 gig RAM and 640 GB/7200 RPM HDD. I used CCC to copy my original HD onto the new one. Once my computer booted successfully with the new HDD I ran every clean-up utility in Onyx.

All these efforts sped my boot time from about 90 seconds to just over 30. Apps were loading faster and everything was perfect.

Now, in the last month or so boot time has once again slowed, only now it's slower than before the upgrades (about 2 minutes now). In addition to that I'm now aware that my fans pretty much stay at 5900-6000 RPM once I pass about 10 minutes of use. It's possible the fans were this fast before the upgrade and I just wasn't aware of it.

I have reset NVRAM/PRAM with no noticable improvements. FWIW, I'm 99% sure I'm running 10.6.6 since I had to upgrade the OS when I got an iPhone 4(I'm at work now, so I can't check).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

3. AUZambo thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that in another thread somewhere. When I get home I'll do that if I haven't already. I can't remember.

What's frustrating is that the computer with its current hardware had a 30 second startup time for about a week or two...now it's slow again. If the boot time stayed at 90 seconds it wouldn't bother me...it's just that I know it's capable of better.

4. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Doing this after using CCC on my MBP helped.

5. AUZambo thread starter macrumors newbie

selected hard disk last night to no avail. Still slow booting.

6. AUZambo thread starter macrumors newbie

FWIW, I fixed it by deleting items in these folders:

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/
    MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/
    MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/

I knew about the Startup Items folder, but not about the other two. I also removed all remnants of a back-up utility that came with my Western Digital external hard drive (WD Anywhere Backup). I had to look up how to do it on the internet...not as simple as deleting the app. It installed itself in several other folders that I would have never found.

Just wanted to post my solution in case anyone else finds this thread who is in a similar situation.

7. 100Teraflops, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I have a similar problem with a 750 WD Black Scorpio. I used CCC to clone a factory HDD and everything else is ok, but boot times have increased three fold. I have a ton of files in the folders you mentioned. So, is it safe to delete the items in the folder? Has there been repercussions? Thanks in advance~ :)

EDIT: I do not have the fan speed problems. Just boot times. I installed 8 GB of ram as well.

EDIT THE EDIT: I changed the wording of my search and found the solution. I went to System Preferences> Startup> and selected my new HDD and restarted. COOL :)