Slow Boot times

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Recently my macbook slowed down during it's initial boot process. It now takes 42 seconds just for the apple logo to appear. Finally after 1:20 I'm at the desktop. I can certainly live with this but am just curious as to why all of a sudden the initial process has basically doubled (getting to the apple logo).

I haven't done anything to cause this. Since then I've cleaned my system and repaired permissions using OnyX. Also reset PRAM but still get the same results.

Any ideas?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Other things to try are changing your screen resolution down, and then moving it back to max. Also try reselecting your startup disk in system preferences.

You may also need to reset the SMC, I think that requires taking out the battery and then holding the power button or something like that. Read Apple support info on it before you bother with this and see if it is advised.

3. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Brilliant Amdahl!

I don't know which of the above fixed my problem (because I did them both prior to a reboot) but I'm at my desktop now in about 45 seconds.

Great tips!

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It happened to me once, and I found the suggestions online as well.