Slow boot to Lion / Clean install question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mightee, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mightee macrumors member

I've upgraded to Lion with little to no cruft, but am experiencing notably slower boot times. It seems everyone's opinion is to do a clean install. My question: if I do a clean install and then migrate back with Migration Assistant, isn't that going to just slow me down again?

2. chipmullins macrumors newbie

Clean Install

Hello. Doing a clean install won't necessarily slow your Mac back down. Doing a clean install can actually speed your Mac back up by replacing all the corrupted system files that have been changed. I did a clean install and used Migration Assistant on my MacBook and it has dramatically made my MacBook more snappy. I do recommend doing a clean install. You'll feel much better after doing so as well.

3. Mightee thread starter macrumors member

Did you bring everything back on with the assistant, or did you skip settings, etc.?

4. chipmullins macrumors newbie

Migration Assistant

I brought back everything using Migration Assistant. It made my MacBook much faster. I recommend doing it.

5. Atarikid macrumors regular

I had the same issue. Cleaning the boot and core storage caches did fix it for me.
    iTweax can do this.

6. spudwaffle macrumors newbie

+1 for repairing disk permissions. Now my "dirty" install runs like one of your clean ones. Power button to useable desktop (with all the fancy animations) in 40s, and this is on a 2009 MBP.

7. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

Can you please advise how do I "repair disk permissions". What should I do exactly.. thanks.

8. revenent macrumors regular

With Lion installed you can reboot your OS, after hearing the chime press Command R simultaneously and you will be taken to the Lion recovery screen. Select Disk Utility followed by repair disk permissions.

Hope it helps.