Slow boot-up since removed Yosemite partition

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aaronvan, Oct 11, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So after a few weeks of messing around with it, I deleted the Yosemite beta partition and converted my MBA back to full Mavericks. However, since I did that, the boot process is horribly sluggish. What used to boot up in 6-10 seconds is now taking 20-30 seconds!

When I first tried to delete the Yosemite partition, it was was greyed-out so I did this:

(Many people did this, from all the comments.) Anyway, since then I fixed permissions (for what it's worth) and the darn thing is still booting slow.

I suspect my '12 MBA's sloth-like behavior will cease upon clean-installing Yosemite release later this month. Still, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Did removing the Yosemite partition do something to Mavericks?

Here is my current partition:

Attached Files:

• boot.jpg
      boot.jpg
      File size:
      277.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Go into Sys Prefs > Startup Disk and select your Mavericks partition, then see whether that helps.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I never thought of that since it's the only partition but by Jove it worked! :)

One thousand up votes to Nermal!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hehe, thanks :)

Why it works: Basically the system still tries to boot from the last selected partition, which in this case no longer exists. It then goes through a lengthy detection routine to find all possible boot devices. By selecting the current partition it now skips the detection again.