Slow boot-up since removed Yosemite partition

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
So after a few weeks of messing around with it, I deleted the Yosemite beta partition and converted my MBA back to full Mavericks. However, since I did that, the boot process is horribly sluggish. What used to boot up in 6-10 seconds is now taking 20-30 seconds!

When I first tried to delete the Yosemite partition, it was was greyed-out so I did this:

open Terminal

run diskutil coreStorage list

Identify what logical volumn is Yosemite (usually the bottom one.)

run diskutil coreStorage revert "UUID of your Yosemite volume"

Open Disk Utility

Delete Yosemite partition.
(Many people did this, from all the comments.) Anyway, since then I fixed permissions (for what it's worth) and the darn thing is still booting slow.

I suspect my '12 MBA's sloth-like behavior will cease upon clean-installing Yosemite release later this month. Still, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Did removing the Yosemite partition do something to Mavericks?

Here is my current partition:

Attachments

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Go into Sys Prefs > Startup Disk and select your Mavericks partition, then see whether that helps.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hehe, thanks :)

Why it works: Basically the system still tries to boot from the last selected partition, which in this case no longer exists. It then goes through a lengthy detection routine to find all possible boot devices. By selecting the current partition it now skips the detection again.