Slow boot up times?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
My macbook pro used to boot up in 10-15 seconds, but now it takes 40-60 seconds, i know restarting the computer often isn't essential, and i don't, but WHEN i do, it stills bugs me that it takes so long. Any tips?, Repaired disk etc.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
My macbook pro used to boot up in 10-15 seconds, but now it takes 40-60 seconds, i know restarting the computer often isn't essential, and i don't, but WHEN i do, it stills bugs me that it takes so long. Any tips?, Repaired disk etc.
1. Open up disk utility and repair disk permissions.
2. Perform a clean install.
3. If you're using a HDD, upgrade to an SSD.

Actually, HDDs do slow down. Physically they do not. They still spin at the same speed and such, but as the hdd becomes more and more fragmented from writes and deletes, the read head will have to search over more and more area to find/extract the files being called for.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
1. Open up disk utility and repair disk permissions.
2. Perform a clean install.
3. If you're using a HDD, upgrade to an SSD.

Actually, HDDs do slow down. Physically they do not. They still spin at the same speed and such, but as the hdd becomes more and more fragmented from writes and deletes, the read head will have to search over more and more area to find/extract the files being called for.
Have been using SSD since 2012, this one is new though, early 2013 retina mbp, 15 inch, already did step 1 and 2.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
That's funny. Although SSDs are unlikely to break down, they still can. At this point, I'd be thinking of backing up everything inside it and sending the machine back to an AASP.
Yeah i got it backed up at my moms house, dads house, and a server in the us so i think I'm safe xD

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I have reseted nvram (theres no pram on intel btw) and smc Reinstalled it, and i compared it to a 2006 Macbook Pro with a crappy old hdd and it start a lot faster than mine.