Slow boot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scho52386, Jul 4, 2007.

1. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

Hello, I hear alot of people saying how fast their mac boots up compared to windows. For some reason, when i start my mbp up from it being turned off, it takes forever to load everything on osx. Once everything is loaded, everything runs just fine and extremely fast. Also, when i close the mbp without turning it off and i reopen it, it turns on extremely fast as well. Is this normal?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Umm...is this slow boot up everytime, or only after you do a software update? Also how much RAM do you have?
    As for shutting the lid, that's because it was asleep. They always boot within three seconds when they wake from sleep, so yes, it is normal.

3. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Exactly how long does it take to boot up? One guy's slow boot up is another guy's fast boot up. Are we talking more than 30 seconds here?

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1. verify start-up disk is selected and locked in sys prefs
    2. verify all ram is firmly seated into it's sockets and correctly recognized
    3. check the number of items in your start-up items folders
    4. clean caches
    5. make sure netboot is disabled (whereby the system insists on looking for a network connection/server prior to final boot-up)

could be other stuff too, but these are good things to start with :p

5. Xquizit macrumors member

I'm also experiencing slow boot times. I just checked it, and when it starts up, it takes about 45 seconds for the apple logo to even show up, and then it take about another 20-25 seconds for the password login screen to show up.. by the time everything is completely loaded (I don't have any extra start-up items), i would say it was about 1 minute 50 seconds..

I don't remember it being slow the first week or 2 I got it, but after these new updates that Apple released (MacBook Pro Update 1.0, 10.4.10, and Audio fix), my boot times have been ridiculous :mad:

6. scho52386 thread starter macrumors regular

scho52386

mine sounds like xquizits. over a minute to start after the mbp has been turned off. and no this is not after an update, it even takes longer after an update.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm. Time to call or go in to see Apple. This shouldn't be happening.