Slow Booting and Refusing to Shut Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kajitox, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

My MBP (about 2 years old, Santa Rosa) is having some major issues both starting up and going into sleep. First off, I'm using 10.5.8, everything's updated, I don't have a bunch of stuff on the startup processes (quicksilver and iTunes helper) and I'm plugged into a power source.

When I start my computer (since yesterday) it has been taking an abnormally long time at the grey screen before the Apple, the grey screen with the apple and the rotating wheel, and then it goes to a light blue screen for 5 or so minutes (repeat: minutes) until flashing light and dark blue and finally taking me to the login.

Nt only that, but my computer will not go to sleep when I close the lid. Instead, the screen turns off and the harddrive and fans keep chugging. What's more annoying is when I then try to open the lid to manually turn it to sleep, the screen won't turn on. This usually requires a hard reset, which then takes 10 minutes to start up.

I have an appointment with the "geniuses" Saturday but you guys are better at this than them. Any help?

Thanks a bunch.

2. celticpride678

Try to pop in the Mac OS X Install Disk and run a Disk Repair and Disk Permissions repair. Also, do you have a Boot Camp? If yes, have you recently removed it?

3. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Could I use a Leopard Upgrade Disk for that?

Also, I use Bootcamp, but I haven't tried to remove it at all.

4. celticpride678

I am not completely sure about using the Upgrade Disc, but I would think so.

There have been some instances were Boot Camp makes Mac OS X Boot up very slow. Look at this Google Search and see if any pertain to you:

http://www.google.com/search?q=boot camp makes mac slow to startup

5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Do you by chance have an external hard drive attached? I find that sometimes my mac will hang during a time machine backup, and it will start acting weird -- it won't kill processes, it won't sleep, etc. As soon as I unplug the external firewire drive, everything will go back to normal.

6. vanc macrumors 6502

I got the same slow booting after the HDD upgrade. By zapping the NVRAM, boot performance returned to normal.

7. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I've flashed my PRAM (I still don't know what that does...) as well as making sure I set my target disk to the correct one. I can't seem to find any good solutions to this on that site...

Any other ideas? I want to save the Archive and Install option for last.

That's what I thought as well, so I disconnected all my peripherals and still no luck.

8. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Could you explain how to do this? Any negative repercussions?

9. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm also noticing when I start up, it will boot to the grey screen, turn off, and reboot without any user input from me.

10. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Just documenting this problem and its progression, in case anyone else has it in the future: I'm also experiencing problems shutting down and going to sleep. The computer won't shut down when prompted, won't go to sleep when the lid is closed, won't go to sleep with prompted, but will go to sleep if you set a time limit until it auto-offs. Then, it won't wake up from sleep, no matter what input to try to give it (trackpad, keyboard, power button).

Also, my computer has stopped recognizing external disk drives.

I'm going to the Apple store today and I'll document what they do to fix it.

EDIT: I took my computer in and he didn't have any solutions right off the bat. He did a few troubleshooting things like trying other RAM and trying to hook up other Firewire devices, to no avail. So, I have it at that store to repair... Good luck to anyone else with this problem.