Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bllgrn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
2.8GHz Core 2 Duo - Mid 2009
4GB Ram
10.5.8 / 10.6.8

Computer takes about 10 minutes to start up, once it is up it runs normally. When I go to shutdown, i get a slow window shade effect followed by a kernel panic message. This cycle runs like clockwork, I have not been able to shut it down without a panic in two weeks.

So far i have:
Done a fresh install of 10.6.8 (initially was 10.5.8)
Swapped hard drives, fresh install on 2nd hard drive
Tested RAM with MemTest86
Booted with only 1 RAM stick / booted with only the 2nd stick
Ran apple hardware diag which came back successful.

Looking in Library/Logs I do not see a panic log, only things I show are DiskUtility.log and a Sync folder.

What else can I try?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
2.8GHz Core 2 Duo - Mid 2009
4GB Ram
10.5.8 / 10.6.8

Computer takes about 10 minutes to start up, once it is up it runs normally. When I go to shutdown, i get a slow window shade effect followed by a kernel panic message. This cycle runs like clockwork, I have not been able to shut it down without a panic in two weeks.

So far i have:
Done a fresh install of 10.6.8 (initially was 10.5.8)
Swapped hard drives, fresh install on 2nd hard drive
Tested RAM with MemTest86
Booted with only 1 RAM stick / booted with only the 2nd stick
Ran apple hardware diag which came back successful.

Looking in Library/Logs I do not see a panic log, only things I show are DiskUtility.log and a Sync folder.

What else can I try?

Was it the same in 10.5.8?

Have you tried from another user account?

You can start up in verbose mode (Command-V), instead of the grey screen and Apple you'll see all kinds of output text from the System, look where it "Hangs"

And, what does it do if you start up in safe mode by holding the shift key when you start up?

bllgrn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Was it the same in 10.5.8?

Have you tried from another user account?

You can start up in verbose mode (Command-V), instead of the grey screen and Apple you'll see all kinds of output text from the System, look where it "Hangs"

And, what does it do if you start up in safe mode by holding the shift key when you start up?

Yes, same symptoms in both 10.5.8 as in 10.6.8, i only upgraded because that was the disc I had with me at the time.

Will check on verbose mode and safe mode later on. User account is not the issue because I see the same thing before and after format and re-install.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, same symptoms in both 10.5.8 as in 10.6.8, i only upgraded because that was the disc I had with me at the time.

Will check on verbose mode and safe mode later on. User account is not the issue because I see the same thing before and after format and re-install.

If this is the case I think it IS hardware, AHT is not perfect and it won't always find problems, might be the graphics card, try playing a game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.