Slow Browser downloads since ISP problem

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NewbieCanada, Aug 30, 2013.

1. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yesterday my ISP was down for several hours, resulting in me making all kinds of network changes (to use my network internally, to use some nearby free wifi, etc.)

When the ISP came back, I reset my Airport and recreated my network. As of this morning, pages load fine on my browser (Safari and Firefox) but file downloads are running at about 10 kb/s. Seriously! Intriguingly, I tried to download a couple of torrents and my download speed was about 1.5 MB/s (megabytes, not bits).

I ran Speedtest in Safari: Ping 15 ms, Download 0.7 Mbps and Upload 0.46

Running the test on my iPhone I got: Ping 17 ms, Download 10.38 Mbps and Upload 0.95 Mb/s

I’m getting similar results on other computers in Safari. I’ve tried restarting Safari, but other than that, I’m at a loss - the issue doesn’t seem to be with my ISP, my internal network or my computers - just with browsers!

2. 3282868 macrumors 603

What ISP do you use?

Having recently lived between Boston and New York, I've used Comcast and Time Warner. I've noticed a few recent changes in how ISP's handle customer data. For example, as a developer and moderate iTunes customer, I download quite a bit more data than I realized. This has become true for the average user as online media is becoming more popular. Some ISP's claim they do not "throttle" costumers, however I have found this to be entirely untrue (ISP's can also detect devices on shared IP's via MAC ID's and DHCP reservations, allowing them to modify port access/flow to various devices/servers/VoIP's/etc.).

In Boston, Comcast Xfinity was actually excellent. My speeds were always consistently 50Mbps DL, and 10Mbps UL. However, Time Warner in NY is much different. I've had nothing but issues with them; inconsistent speeds (especially closer to the end of the billing cycle), VPN access/connectivity issues with my Synology server (I had the same setup in Boston as NY), constant service interruptions. As yourself, I reset my network a few times in order to isolate the matter (I have a 2013 6th Gen Airport Extreme Base Station as my main router with Cat-6 connections to my Synology server, Mac Mini HTPC, Pioneer Elite AVR and a second 2011 5th Gen Airport Extreme Base Station extending the 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrums on the other side of my home, made certain the channels are set according to transmits rates and other network interference). Checking the modem/router via browser (an Ubee combo in bridge mode), I notice fluctuations in speed depending on time of day and monthly usage. Regardless of what some claim, they do throttle users.

That stated, I have run tests on all my devices and differing OS's:

- 2010 12-Core Mac Pro5,1 (10.8, 10.9 DP6, Windows 7)
    - 2012 Mac Mini x2 HTPC's (10.8 for 1, 10.9 for the other)
    - 2011 iMac 27" (10.9)
    - 2012 MacBook Air (10.9)
    - iPhone 5 x2 (iOS 6 and 7)
    - iPad 4 (iOS 7)
    - iPad 2 (iOS 7)
    - iPad Mini (iOS 6)

They have all been consistent, ruling out OS issues (for me at least). I have noticed an alarming matter, something Time Warner has been accused of doing, limiting port access for devices. This was a legal matter first posed by Vonage customers who did not use Time Warners [more expensive] VoIP; Time Warner began detecting VoIP devices and limiting port access thus sacrificing call quality. When customers called for help, Time Warner rep's would sell them on their own VoIP service, which of course ran perfectly. Time Warner lost a multi-million dollar suit, but still does this in certain markets. I noticed access to my VPN is dodgy at best while I had no issue with it in Boston on Comcast. I've also noticed speeds differ based on web browser, which I do not understand.

Try this:

In OS X, option-Click on your MenuBar WiFi. A drop down list should appear, with stats on transmit rates, signal strength/interference and noise, etc. In signal strength and noise, the rates will be "-#", where the number closest to 0 is best (i.e. -45 is better than -89). Transmit rate is simply Mbps, i.e. 150 for a 2.4Ghz network is ideal, 300 for 5Ghz. Here is an article that should help:

How to Check Wireless Signal Strength and Optimize WiFi Networks in Mac OS X

There is also a "Wireless Diagnostics" utility located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications, it will run in the background while using your system, compiling data and will either alert you to a detected fault or time out so you may review results.

Hope this helps!