Slow CD Ripping Speed On Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John151, Jan 5, 2008.

1. John151 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am an old time PC person, with my first Mac. I know my PC inside and out, and have even built several PCs in years past. However, I am struggling to figure out how to speed up the CD ripping process on my Mac Mini. I am getting around 4-5x rip speed on most CDs (some are faster, most are not). Surely the "super drive" can spin the disks faster than this. The CPUs are around 67%, so I don't think it is the conversion process.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What app are you using to rip them? Do you get similar speeds if you're simply copying files from a CD to your Desktop? I really don't think the superdrive is your limiting factor here.

3. John151 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using iTunes, converting to Apple Lossless (m4a).

I agree, that the super drive is not the issue. I assume it is a software config thing somewhere.

BTW - I have attached an external Iomega CD drive that rips much faster (30x-50x). However, iTunes locks up on certain tracks, so I am no longer using the Iomega. However, this does prove that higher speeds are possible.

Does iTunes limit the speed for reliability/quality?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It has an error correction function that'll slow imports down a little, but it shouldn't be all that noticeable. You can turn it on or off in the iTunes preferences, under the importing tab.