Slow Charge/Fast Drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Nov 3, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

My daughter has been mentioning that her iPhone 5's battery goes down fast. I just thought that it's because she's attached to it all of the time. Last night she asked if I could charge it for her so I put it on the iPad charger that I always use to charge my iPhone. It seemed like it took forever to charge. I didn't time it but I'd say that it took at least 3-4 times as long to charge for almost dead (7%) than it does for my phone. I've read some things about battery issues. Think that is the problem? Her screen has multiple cracks so I don't even know if it would be covered under warranty. It would be in pieces if they tried to take it off.

2. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

The screen being cracked has nothing to do with the battery. If it's under warranty still take it to an Apple store for the battery issue. If they think the battery is bad let them replace it or they may opt to replace the whole device.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can try to check on the battery stats as mentioned at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1665221 and see if that reveals anything obvious about it.

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just called Apple. They sent a message with a link that I clicked on that did a test and sent the info back to them. She said the battery is working but she can't see everything that is going on with it. We have an appointment at the Apple Store next Friday.

I know how the screen comes off. What happens if they want to open the phone and the screen falls apart?

5. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

If they can't repair it without breaking it I'am sure they'll probably offer up a refurb if you still have warranty. They should let you know something up front before they just rip into the device. If you get a nice genius you'll probably walk away with a refurb phone.

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We went to the Apple Store today. The Genious tried to test the battery but he had a problem doing that. He then suggested restoring the phone to new then manually installing the apps. He said that it's a software issue most of the time. Told us to come back if that doesn't work. They would have to physically check the battery to see if it was damaged (cracked screen). He also suggested that the screen might not come out in one piece. Depending on what is found if we come back, there might be a charge because the one year warranty doesn't cover physical damage.

I charged her phone and mine tonight. Daughter's phone -

From 51% to 88% - 51 minutes
    to 93% - 76 minutes
    to 100% - 114 minutes

Mine -
    From 52% to 86% - 35 minutes
    to 97% - 50 minutes
    to 100% - 56 minutes

We're going to time it a few more times. Still seems slower though.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Did you already do the restore? If not you can try removing all the apps from the recently used apps list and then reset (reboot) the phone. That will clear any rouge or looping app process and be enough. However, the same issue may reoccur under the same circumstances.

8. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Gotcha. If the problem reoccurs perform the steps above. A restore is typically not necessary. Good luck!

10. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I'm kind of hoping that it doesn't cure the problem. Maybe with a little luck they will replace the whole phone so that will take care of the battery and screen issues.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

As someone suggested above, try iBackupBot to check by yourself the battery status. It's easy and free, while not 100% accurate.

12. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's been a few days so I asked her how her battery is doing now. So far so good but she gets a message that says - "this accessory is not supported". Only happens once in awhile. She is using the standard Apple charger.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's really strange. Is it a 3rd party cable?

14. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, fully Apple cable. She was using a 3d party plug so I gave her one of my Apple plugs. Still does it.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Take the whole setup into the Apple store and show the genius. There has to be something wrong with the charging circuit or the connector in the phone itself.