Slow charging time. Charging with 2.3 watts

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bigdrago, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Bigdrago macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have cleaned everything after someone spilled coca-cola on my macbook air 13" mid 2013.
    After cleaning all components works, even did a full reinstall of yosemite.

But the charging time is extremely long. From 2% to 100% it took over 20 hours. According to batteryhealth it is charging with 2.3 watts.
    Yes I have tried other chargers with the same result.

I changed the I/O board cable and suddently it charged with full power. But the next day when inserting the charger it is charging slow again with 2.3 watts.

So... are there any fuses I can change?
    Or is it the battery that needs to be changed? Battery age 1.7 years, cycles 93, original max 7150mAh, health 95%.
    But the health got to 99% when the charger was charging full. Now it is back to 95% when charging with 2.3 watts.

Taking it to a repair shop wont do any good...because one of the LSI indicators on the logic board is red. Yes I have reset SMC.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Dunno but please realize that the laptop doesn't charge at a constant rate. It will charge quickly until 80% and then slowly and then after ~95% it charges very, very slowly.

I have seen OS X predict 40 minutes to charge from 98% to full.

This is presumably so the battery doesn't get overcharged and damaged.

So be aware of this when you are measuring charge rates.

3. Bigdrago thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... but from 2% to 80% should not be 20 hours of charging :) Maybe the batteri itself think it is 95% and therefore charging slow...

4. Bigdrago thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting.. I disconnected the battery before going to bed, then it had about 70%.
    This morning I connected the battery and inserted the charger. I noticed that the charger was giving 44W with a monitor, the app "battery health" also showed full charging speed. After a few minutes it decreased to 2.4 watts again. :/

5. illusionx macrumors 6502

I am guessing that the cola did some damages to the motherboard or the battery itself.

6. Bigdrago thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... the mac itself suck all the power if wants... but t seems like the battery doesn't much juice...

7. illusionx macrumors 6502

8. Bigdrago thread starter macrumors newbie

The same. Outlet showing about 4 watts.

9. Bigdrago thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought a new battery and I/O board... still slow charging.
    Guess it must be a charging circuit on the logic board causing the problem...