Slow CoD2 Performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JLN, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JLN macrumors newbie

JLN

I've recently purchased the current 2.2ghz MBP and previously I've been playing Call of Duty 2 through XP via Boot Camp. My FPS fluxed from 50-90fps using these specs:

Resolution: 1440x900
    Rendering: Direct x7
    Texture Quality: Extra/High
    Aniso Filtering
    Minimal Shadowing

However, when running CoD2 on Tiger, I experience terrible performance on the most modest settings. My FPS is now between 30-40 fps and it feels incredibly choppy. My specs for the OS X are:

Resolution: 1440x900
    Rendering: Normal
    Texture Quality: High
    Texture: Trillinear

I've tried to change the hunkmegs and perform other console tricks however it doesn't help. I was wondering if others have experienced this problem and if there's a way to fix it. I'd like to play CoD2 on the mac to save myself a reboot. My only assumption is that the software of CoD2 is simply lagging due to being a Universal program written for PowerPC.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

2. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99

I have your problem, and I also have the answer to your problem. When the macbook pro was updated to 1.1 they messed up some graphics problems. The "issue" is apparently being worked on but it has been i believe over a month now. Anyways it results in choppy graphics for many games and what not. The best way for a semi fix is to uninstall the update(searching on google will tell you how to do this). Or an even better fix(the one i have done) until they update again is setting the max fps to about 50. This you can test on your own for what works best. Of course its no 90fps, but it will fix the choppiness. Sadly the performance still will not be as good as it should be, but hopefully soon apple will figure out the problem. Remember dont set the max fps too low or you will get kicked from multiplayer, and do it before you join any game in order it for it to save.

ps. it would also be good if you email aspyr and tell them about the problem, the more emails to them the more contact with apple and what not, to hopefully get this fixed as soon as possible.

3. JLN thread starter macrumors newbie

JLN

Thanks for your response. I'll try to get to that.

4. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99