Slow connection on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukexx, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dukexx macrumors newbie

Until I finish customizing my PC desktop I'm stuck with using my MacBook Pro for pretty much all of my needs which gets to be pretty annoying sometimes. By the end of the day I'd like to check my email, Myspace, etc. and when I usually start it's about 5 or 6 in the evening and it would go on till maybe around 10 or 11, the main reason being because it takes almost 20 seconds to see any response from the web browser loading the page and add another 5 to 10 seconds to that to completely finish loading which means ~30 seconds to view most pages. When I used my old laptop (R.I.P: Your hard drive and RAM cards have been left behind as a reminder of you...) and my desktop the connection was great and the page would load 100% in less than 3 seconds.

So does anyone know what I can do to make my internet connection work at the right speed and/or preferably better?

I have a wireless connection (54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway (Model #: GT704WG) and I'm primarily use my laptop in my room which is probably a little less than 40ft away from my router.

2. CTechKid macrumors regular

Start by doing basic troubleshooting?

1) Plug it in via ethernet. Test speed.

If that's fine.

2) Disable all security associated with your Wifi network. Test speed.

3) Report back with results.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Also, if you know your router enough, scan for all neighboring Wi-Fi signals with your MBP, and then switch your router's broadcast channel so you get less interference.

Cordless phones from neighbors, and leaky microwave ovens can interfere with 2.4GHz WiFi.