Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone, just wanted to get your opinion. My boyfriend and I both have iPhone 5s. He is coming from an Android and is getting fed up with his iPhone. Some of it is because he doesn't know how everything works yet, understandably, but his data loads REALLY slow.

Sometimes it doesn't load at all and mine seems like it loads a lot faster. We both have Sprint. Now his phone has an FN (or is it FJ? Not sure and it isn't in front of me :) serial number and mine has DN.

I made him an appointment at the Apple store and they told him his phone was fine and that it was Sprint's network as we still don't have LTE here, apparently next month (Nashville). He went to the Sprint store and they reset his settings and confirmed this as well.

I still think it is weird that my phone seems to load much faster than his does. Although, he has no issues when he is on wi-fi. Any thoughts?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hey everyone, just wanted to get your opinion. My boyfriend and I both have iPhone 5s. He is coming from an Android and is getting fed up with his iPhone. Some of it is because he doesn't know how everything works yet, understandably, but his data loads REALLY slow.

Sometimes it doesn't load at all and mine seems like it loads a lot faster. We both have Sprint. Now his phone has an FN (or is it FJ? Not sure and it isn't in front of me :) serial number and mine has DN.

I made him an appointment at the Apple store and they told him his phone was fine and that it was Sprint's network as we still don't have LTE here, apparently next month (Nashville). He went to the Sprint store and they reset his settings and confirmed this as well.

I still think it is weird that my phone seems to load much faster than his does. Although, he has no issues when he is on wi-fi. Any thoughts?

If I were you, I'd back up each phone to its respective iCloud account, then wipe both, and then restore them from the other's iCloud backup. Meaning, back your phone up, wipe it, and restore from your boyfriend's backup. That should indicate if it's the phone or something with his settings, etc.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

you should go with him to the apple store and show both phones to the genius and make him see one loading faster than the other!
he will have no excuses

ncruzpr

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Well I was with AT&T and noticed that my LTE and data speeds were noticeably slower than my friends who also had a black iPhone 5 32 GB with AT&T.

I took it to AT&T and they replaced it under the 30 day guarantee and got back a new iPhone and no longer have LTE issues. I wouldn't know what my previous phone was but my new phone starts with DN.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I do agree with Sprint's network quality being much lower than the competition. I've been with them for a few years now on both Android and Apple devices. I love Sprint for their customer service and costs, but their 3G network is really slow and their 4G LTE network is slacking way behind AT&T and Verizon interms of even being on in the first place.

I average about a meg down on 3G in San Francisco, usually less. It seems dead capped at a meg too because even if it pushes past it gets throttled right back down.

I have many friends on AT&T and Verizon with various handsets and they get much fast 3G speeds on average. Sometimes 3+ megs down.

I love the phone so much, and I am stuck with Sprint for a long while, so I try not to notice the data speeds. But Sprint's network is noticeably lower quality than their competition and Sprint knows that for sure.

But the unlimited data keeps me happy!

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
you should go with him to the apple store and show both phones to the genius and make him see one loading faster than the other!
he will have no excuses

hmm, this may work. Also when you are typing something into his menu bar it is kind of static like going back and forth and blinking almost. I was at work or else I would have gone with him but I definitely think something is wrong with his.

----------

The 5S is out already :eek:

Sorry, had to do it....

Take it in to the apple store, it may be defective.

haha, I didn't even think of that. Obviously, I meant plural :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.