Slow download speeds - Experimenting with Torrent Apps and

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cbt13, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbt13 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just started to use 10mbps instead of my old 1mbps. But it looks like I'm having some issues.

First of all I'm using the port 27960 for bitTorrent and it is PROPERLY FORWARDED. (I have a Tilgin modem, it was a real pain to forward)

I was using uTorrent app with my 1mbps internet and it was doing fine. I was able to download at full speed (100kB/s). But when I changed my ISP things started to change.

The Test:
    -I'm downloading 5 of the most popular torrent files. My friends with the same ISP as me can download these torrents 2MB/s at their homes.

-I'm using Vuze, uTorrent and Transmission as the torrent app.

***On all applications my Port seems to be open. I have green light.

On Vuze;
    -It is a little complicated for me. And it hangs usually. So I'm not using it.

On uTorrent;
    -My download speeds up to max 250-300kB/s (Total download, not per torrent.)

On Transmission;
    -Well, this is the strangest. My download speed goes up to 700kB/s. But it goes like 5kB/s, 15kB/s, 3kB/s, 1kB/s, 400kB/s, 600kB/s, 3kB/s. Slowest speed for a second and highest for another. It doesn't stand still. It goes up and down continuously.

So I had a phone call to my ISP and they said there is no problem with the lines.

Than, I tested with "speedtest.net" and "speakeasy.net/speedtest/". All turned out perfect! (9.7mbps to 10.1mbps)

Than I tested real download speed with Firefox.(ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2009.1/Pardus_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo_International.iso) It is downloading with 980kB/s. Perfect again..

But when it comes to torrents, something goes wrong. I'm not using any antivirus or firewall. What can be the problem?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

2. cbt13 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cbt13 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.