Slow download speeds only on Mac! Again.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andre29, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Andre29 macrumors newbie

Got a new air, was fine for the longest time, upgraded to ML and ever since it goes up to 1.2mb/s then goes all the way down to 400-700 kb/s.

This is not acceptable. I'm paying for a 3mb/s connection and my PC has no trouble attaining that.

My modem/router options are fine. This is on OSX's side, any idea? I'm so sick of this happening. It happened with my MBP all the time. Got this new air and it was fine, until now.

Pretty sad that I have to pray for 1mb/s when I'm paying for 3x that speed. Nothing but bad experiences on recent Macs.

2. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

Your description is a little too vague, but I really doubt that the hardware of your mac is somehow causing the slow internet speed.

The connection speed is for instance dependable on your distance to the router and the obstacles (walls, furniture, etc.) that stand in the way, if you are on a wireless connection.
    Wired ethernet connections tend to be a bit faster in general.

Since, you use your internet connection on multiple computers, it could be that network activity (downloads or uploads) on another computers might slow your connection down.

Furthermore, you should check wether there is a software problem somewhere. Keep your router firmware up to date.
    Administering individual static IPs to all your networked devices, configuring the DNS servers, forwarding ports for your apps and using free channels for your wifi network might make your overall internet experience much more enjoyable.
    If your network is protected by a firewall, check if it doesn't somehow limit the network activity.

How experienced are you with networks and internet connections that makes you so sure that your router options are fine?