Slow Downloads/Attachments & General Sluggishness

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by chins01, Aug 4, 2015.

1. chins01, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

chins01 macrumors newbie

I have an older desktop (early 2009) which probably needs replacing soon. I was having repeated errors and kept having to trash the finder preferences so I decided to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite to see if that would help. I actually haven't had any of my original problems since upgrading over the weekend but now I have new ones (sigh).

When an application tries to access the finder there is a massive delay. For example when attaching an email in gmail, selecting a render location in After Effects, selecting a drive to clone in Super Duper. Downloads from sites such as wetransfer are also timing out or freezing and I sometimes get a page needs to be reloaded error in gmail so there seems to be some connectivity issues.

I reset the PRAM and SMC which seemed to help a bit but didn't solve the problem. Filevault is turned off and I'm not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

I also just installed Yosemite on my laptop, which is even older and has less ram, and I'm not having these problems there. I did just install a solid state drive in the laptop so I'm wondering if that's the solution? I'm thinking this desktop is going to need to be replaced soon so I hesitate to throw money into it unless the upgrade is going to buy me at least another year or two but at the same time I can't be waiting 5 minutes to send an attachment via email!

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are describing sounds like a drive failing.