Slow downs on RAID 1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EEXOOO, Jul 15, 2011.

1. EEXOOO macrumors regular

I'm running RAID 1 with 2x 1TB WD Green (WD10EARS) on the OWC Quad Elite AL-Pro enclosure (936 Chipset)

Very often I will encounter the spinning wheel issue while doing everyday stuff like saving files from Safari, copying files to the volume and trying to open up folders. This takes up a lot of unnecessary time.

Anyone has any idea what is causing the slowdown ?

2. mbmobile macrumors member

Quick questions.

1) are you using it also for time machine?
    2) is spotlight indexing the disk as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. EEXOOO thread starter macrumors regular

1. Yes it is used for Time Machine, I set it to backup only once a day though. It is on a separate parition.
    2. I tried searching for files with spotlight but did not return any results. Any ways to confirm that spotlight is not indexing the RAID 1 drives?

Thank you for taking the time to help out

4. mbmobile macrumors member

Check in sys pref if spotlight is indexing the drive.
    Eventually run ajatest to look at the performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do a google search on western digital green drives raid and you'll see a lot of problems being reported. Some may be similar to yours and some may not.

My point is that there are a lot of problems occurring with western digital green drive and RAID1

6. EEXOOO thread starter macrumors regular

@mbmobile
    What am I supposed to look for ? The page list types of files to index but not location of files to index
    Ajatest gives me roughly 60MB/s R+W when Transmission is not running while 0.3MB/s R+W when Transmission is running. Guess I've found the problem! The thing is though, it doesn't happen when I was on RAID 0 with 2x2TB Samsung F4 drives.
    Let me monitor to see if it happens again while Transmission is not running.

@maflynn
    I've actually googled beforehand and read through a few of the issues, from what I read it's more towards drives falling out of the array rather than erratic performance.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, sorry to take you down the bunny trail on that one

8. mbmobile macrumors member