Slow edge Speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kami-sn, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kami-sn macrumors newbie

Has anyone had a network speed issue? I recently had lots of network speed problem I have heard with edge you should have speed between 120-250K but I just did several tests with speedtest.net app. and it is ridiculously slow even slower than dial up maybe at&t need to use it for their advertisement “even slower than dialup” !!!!

I have 1st generation iphone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

While not fantastic, my speeds came in at 101 kbps download and 37 kbps upload. Could be your area, or current network load, I suppose.

Too bad 3G hasn't made it to my area yet. .

3. eldy macrumors 6502

You might be right on the edge of the coverage area between two cell towers. Do you get normal speeds anywhere else?

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

"edge of the coverage area" .. no pun intended? hehe

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The last few weeks has seen Edge not just slow but crawling AT BEST

I don't even try using it if 3G isn't working.

I spent 5 minutes trying to go to Google.com on Edge last week

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

More bars, in more places.

7. kami-sn thread starter macrumors newbie

Actualy those results is at my work at home I get 130k-30k if this is normal then something is wrong in my work area towers, I called att for this and they said everything looks fine in their end!!!!!

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

45/10 is kinda poor for EDGE, but not all that bad. You won't get anywhere near 235kbit in the real world anyways.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't really care what happened to EDGE... they definitely changed something though because my iPhone hardly EVER switches to EDGE anymore. I get 3G inside my building at work (most of the time 5 bars!) and in the warehouse where it used to drop off to EDGE, I retain 2-3 bars of 3G. Whatever they did, it seems that they're making EDGE worse, but at the same time, they're making 3G BETTER! I'd rather have better 3G than good EDGE.

10. eldy macrumors 6502

It could be the building interfering with the signal. Maybe try outside or a quarter mile away from your office...

EDGE actually sucks at my house and is seemingly fine everywhere else (as long the iPhone is stationary).

11. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I tested again last night at home (had originally tested at work) and my speeds were horrendous - anywhere between 17 kbps and 45 kbps. Back up to 90 now, though. Come on AT&T, get that 3G coverage out here soon if you want me to buy a new phone!

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tried speed test with EDGE and the test wouldn't even finish! :eek:

WiFi speed test is attached:

Attached Files:

13. kami-sn thread starter macrumors newbie

as I mentioned mine is 1st gen iPhone so 3g dose not help, but sometimes back in engadget.com I red that att is dropping the quality of edge to increase the quality of 3g, and I think this is exactly what they are doing so we go and sign for another 2 years of contract and pay more for 3g and less than 2 years again they screw the 3g for some other technology.!!!!

14. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just noticed this just a second ago after I did the firmware update.. I typed in speedtest.net and i went right from safari to the app store with the app speedtest there.. Is anyone else seeing this.. Is this new? It never happened to me before...

Someone try and typing in the address bar speedtest.net and see if it takes you to the app store also..

James

15. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Yes, it does do that.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

So I have heard