Slow Emails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jvcupo, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jvcupo macrumors newbie

My emails are sending at a snail's pace. ISP is fine. Any ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What email are you using?
    Could be the server

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As almost always, more information is needed.

What mail application and version do you use, what Mac OS X version do you run on what Mac, how big is the email you want to send, how long does it take (in seconds or minutes, snails are quite fast)?

You can take a look at Activity Monitor > Network to see your upload speed.

Also:

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.

4. jvcupo thread starter macrumors newbie

Im using Mac mail to send a 5MB attachment via POP and IMAP. Both take 2 minutes or longer to send. When I send same file from Gmail on the web, it sends in 2 seconds.

BTW. Im running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Mail 3.6 on an imac

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is normal.

Mail needs to upload the 5MB attachment, 2 minutes suggests an upload speed of 41KB/s.

Google Mail uploads the attachment too, but if you add the attachment before you finish writing the email, the attachment gets uploaded while you write the email, indicated by a little status bar right next to the add attachment section.
    [​IMG]

So if it takes you more than two minutes to write the email, the attachment has already been uploaded,
    unless Google Mail provides you with upload speeds of 2.5MB/s, which is highly unlikely.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To edit your posts, click the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your post. Consecutive posts by one member are not welcome here.

6. Sequential posts. Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a s

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

6. jvcupo thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the thing. When I send a test email, I do it with no text at all...just the attachment. I watch gmail upload and send in 2-4 seconds. Same attachment with no text takes Mail 2 minutes to upload and send. I want to continue using Mail, but I can't with it moving so slowly.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and test your upload speed.

There is (almost) no way, that Google Mail can upload faster than Mail.app.

Or do you have a really, really fast internet access with 2.5MB/s upload speed, which could result in 35-40 MB/s download speed?

Have you taken a look at the Google Mail "upload attachment status bar" and seen how fast it progressed and simultaneously looked at the Network tab in Activity Monitor to see what upload speed Google Mail offers?

[​IMG]

Important is the Data in/sec and Data out/sec.
    [​IMG]

Have you compared that with the Mail upload process by also looking at the Network tab in Activity Monitor?

8. jvcupo thread starter macrumors newbie

Speed test shows upload speed .49 mb/s and 23.23 mb/s download.

Activity monitor shows data in 47 data out 87 during gmail upload

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That sounds about right.

The speed test gives you 490 Kbit/s (0.49 Mbit/s) as upload speed, which is 61 KByte/s ( 490 / 8 = *61.25 ).
    As download speed you get 23230 Kbit/s (23.23 Mbit/s), which is 2903.75 Kbyte/s (2.8 MByte/s).

That somewhat corresponds with the numbers you read in Activity Monitor, which are in Kbyte/s.

That should show you, that even Google Mail can only upload with a maximum speed of 61 to 87 (which has some overhead due to communicating with the router/modem) Kbyte/s, which will result in 83 to 58 seconds for a 5MB upload, if you can sustain 61 to 87 KByte/s for the whole time.

The following is not meant as an insult, but did you understand any of the above?

And have you taken a look at
    [​IMG]
    and seen how fast the blue bar moves from the left to the right? It will not be instantaneously.

10. jvcupo thread starter macrumors newbie

I do appreciate you spending time with me on this. I must be missing something somewhere. I understand the formulas, but I dont get what is happening here.
    When I attach my 5MB file in gmail (which is similar to your example of 4 or 5 documents) each one zips from left to right in less than a second. In fact, I can not get to the activity monitor window before its complete.
    If I understand this correctly, Mail is sending my email and uploading attachments at the same time.
    Gmail seems to upload the attachment first (in a few seconds) then send it off.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a little bit strange.
    As you already tested your upload speed with both the browser and Activity Monitor, Google can not have faster upload speeds.

Are you sure the .zip file is the same size as the one you attach to Mail?

You can use either iStat Menus to simultaneously monitor the upload speed while you take a look at the upload bar in Google Mail,
    or/and you can use Activity Monitor and arrange both windows (Activity Monitor and Safari/Opera/Firefox/Chrome)
    so that you can take a look at the Network tab in Activity Monitor
    and the upload bar in Google Mail inside the browser window.

Maybe Google Mail just does that all in the background without giving visual confirmation about what it does,
    therefore iStat Menus and Activity Monitor should show you the current upload speed, even while you don't do anything and don't see the upload bar in Google Mail.

12. jvcupo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for time. It seems you have been correct from the start.
    What I failed to see--is that although gmail uploads the attachment in 2 seconds--it sits in the outbox for 2 minutes before it confirms that it has been sent. Therefore, everything is normal. I need to increase my upload speed via my ISP I suppose. Waiting for 2 minutes can seem like an eternity sometimes.