Slow Ethernet Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GyOzA, Mar 21, 2008.

1. GyOzA macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I am running an Ethernet (hardwired) connection from my Comcast modem to a Netgear WNR834B v.2 router then to my iMac 20" 2.16Ghz (previous white version)'s Ethernet port. I did this because I have been experiencing slow connection and frequent drop-outs (gets disconnects frequetnly when playing WC3). Now that the same problem still exists when using this wired setup. Whenever I open up Safari and go to a webpage (except for google.com), the page hangs while loading, and it will take about 10~20 seconds to get the page fully loaded with pictures and everything else. If I unplug the Ethernet cable that goes to the iMac from the router, and then plug it into the modem (so that my iMac is connected to the modem directly), the connection speed is blazing fast, and the webpages would fully load in no time. Therefore I am wondering what might be the cause of the slow Ethernet connection? Is it my router since that connection speed is super fast when connecting to the modem directly? or is it something else that might cause the problem? Has anyone experienced the same thing and come up with a fix? I look forward to receiving any valuable opions. Thanks!

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Since it works when connected directly to your modem, the issue is most likely with your router, or the cable connecting the modem to your router. Try replacing the cable going from your modem to the router, if that doesn't fix it the issue would be with your router. Try updating the firmware on your router, if that is the case.

3. GyOzA thread starter macrumors newbie

First off, thanks for the input.

I just updated the firmware, same thing. and the cable that I use to connect the modem to the computer is the very same one that i used to connect the modem to the router then to the computer. = (
    I guess it is my router in this case. Are iMac's picky about what type of router I use? Do you guys have any recommendation on routers that work flawlessly on Macs? Apple AirPort Extreme is kind of too expensive for me, I am thinking of an alternative that would intergrate to my iMac w/o creating any problems... Thanks

4. stevehimself macrumors newbie

I am actually having the same exact issue. I have a Netgear Wireless N router and my internet takes a good 10 seconds to load. have you found any resolution?