Slow Ethernet speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BIG-b, Apr 19, 2013.

1. BIG-b macrumors newbie

I am having a little issue with my newly purchased Airport Extreme. I have mostly all of my networked devices conencted via wireless but I have a few devices that I have connected via ethernet. The issue is that the wired ethernet speeds are barely 100 megabits (showing negotiated at 1 Gigabit with no errors) THis is testing via my internet connection and also computer to computer transfers.

The odd thing is that my 5GHz wireless or 2.4GHz wireless is just as fast or faster.. For example .. When copying files from my media server to my 27" 2013 iMac I see roughly 80 megabits via wired and over 140 via wireless...

I have a 105 megabit download/ 20 megabit upload internet connection and I only see around 50 megabit download wired and I see well over 110megabit on wireless..

new
    new cables (known good cables)
    different computers
    rebuilding the network connection, (IP stack, driver, ect...)
    soft reset
    hard reset
    factory settings reset
    bought a mount to mount on wall away from any heat sources.. (plasma tv, dish receiver, ect...)

Another oddity is that if I plug in my Apple TV via ethernet and try to use my iphone or iMac via a wired connection it is very jittery.. If all is on wireless then it is flawless..

I am out of ideas, do you think this is a faulty unit ? Other Routers work fine and I believe the AP Extreme worked great also a few weeks ago ..

I just had it replaced today with a brand new extreme and it is still the same .. slow ethernet..

Any ideas ?

2. BIG-b thread starter macrumors newbie

I have narrowed it down even further.. It looks like to me the only issue I am having are slow internet speeds on Windows only based wired connections..

MyiMac is seeing constant LAN speeds of 500 megabit plus when copying to and from other wired computers including my windows based "media server" (running Win7) I am also seeing over 100 megabit on my internet speed tests..

Why is the Airport Extreme so picky about Windows based wired connections to the internet ?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

as a test, to rule out hardware issues, you could run a linux liveCD. if your computer supports booting from USB, you can even use a USB stick.

if you're not familiar with live CDs, you don't may any changes to your computer, it will let you boot into linux off the disc/stick. It will bring up a fully functional desktop, while leaving your windows install untouched.

i recommend UNetbootin to make the USB stick, and if you don't have a preference, i would go with ubuntu 12.04

once there, if you click the little circle (ubuntu logo) icon in the top left (or hit the windows key), from there you can search for system monitor, that will let you see the network speed on a chart
    then click the folder icon below that, and select "browse network" on the left side of the window that pops up. you should see your network shares.

**for me both windows and mac shares show up, i'm not sure if mac is there by default or not, you may have to enable windows file sharing on your mac to be able to see it.

4. BIG-b thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply... I am familiar and will give that a try..I have tried 5 different windows machines and they all suffer from the same issue ... Slow wired Internet connect, fast LAN speeds, and normal (fast) LAN and Internet speeds via wireless..

Just odd...my guess is taking the OS out of the equation will result in normal speeds...

Thanks again

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If your network config allows it, why not try putting a Gigabit switch in the way and see if that improves LAN speeds. I have Win7 LAN connected PCs, WiFi connected Macs, Airport Expresses and NASs with no LAN or WiFi issues. BUT I have switches on each floor that direct traffic so no LAN traffic goes through the AEs unless it is Internet related.

Some years ago I found that there were some esoteric settings in the NICs that did affect LAN rates (flow control etc). These aren't changeable on AEs but might be another source of problems for Win to Apple LANs.