Slow Finder in Mac Pro (VelociRaptor Installed)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NonBorn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. NonBorn macrumors newbie

First of all, hi to all. Im a new member but reading the forum for a while.

I recently upgraded my 2008 mac pro, with a velociraptor and the things were cool... The drive is very good and OSX became much more responsive. (I use it as my boot drive with Mac OSX installed in it) The problem I have tha last 2 days is that the finder is loading the icons (content of folders - in every hard disk in the mac pro not only the raptor) very slow but i cannot find a reason for that. Any folder i try to access I have to wait about 4,5 seconds to load its contents. I dont have a problem with applications i launch.

Any idea whats happening or what can I do?

Thanx in advance for your time...

EDIT:
    No problem with Windows...

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Did you completely erase and reformat the drive, by writing zeros to all sectors?
    This is always a good idea to do on any new drive, that may be pre formated for p.c.

Did you do a complete fresh install of the OS, or did you use a clone or backup?

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

What amount of CPU is Finder taking?

If its taking a lot, try turning off size previews on the desktop items.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No need to write zeros, just format regularly under osx journaled.

When you sell a hdd then it would be good to write zeros.

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Writing 0s to a disk is a waste of time. There is no such thing as a low level format anymore - they are only performed at the factory.

7. sveesible1 macrumors newbie

Velociraptor fit into the chassis?

How did you get the velociraptor to fit into your mac pro? I bought one and the drive is a 2.5" in a 3.5" heat sync, so the drive connection points do not even come close to matching up inside the Mac chassis.

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

I would guess this is the problem - spotlight maybe hasn't seen the folder and is running an index on it? Or it could just be that it's grabbing all the metadata from the files which is taking a while. If the folders are full of pictures this could be the problem.

Check your Spotlight settings under System Preferences and see if it's still scanning all of your drives (it may not have indexed those folders yet - hence it indexes them when you open them, which slows things down).

9. sigeats macrumors newbie

I've got two v-raptors n my MacPro as a RAID0 . . . no problems, so I'm thinking something else is going on.

They fit if you use a a MaxUpgrade kit:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard106.html