Slow Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mjmcconkey, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mjmcconkey macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I hope someone can help as I'm in a world of PC users and IT are struggling to care about the one Mac that is connected to their network.

I am connected to 2 separate networks which run through the company's firewall etc.

I am working primarily from a folder that is stored on a computer in another state. This volume is using 959.77 GB and has 40.09 GB available.

Previewing images from this volume in finder takes between 2 and 5 minutes. Placing images into InDesign from this volume takes between 5 and 10 minutes, regardless of the size of the image.

Specs are :

iMac

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

The computer itself is 6 months old and everything else is running fine.

If anyone has any clues as to why Finder is struggling with files please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It seems to be slow network speed between you and the network folder.

How big are the images?

3. mjmcconkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. The images can be anywhere from 500kb to 50mb, but it seems to be the previewing and contact with the network that is the problem.

4. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

This might be a problem if you have thousands of files you are trying to view in one folder. I found post suggesting moving a few files into a new subfolder and see how that affects performance with finder.