Slow Flash Performance on PPC G5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FF_productions, Nov 19, 2009.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Kinda :confused: about this situation, I've got a Dual 2 Ghz G5 with 10.5.8 loaded on it, yet I'm getting very slow flash performance. The PC that I'm typing on is a $300 Toshiba with a celeron processor but it does a great job with flash (safari/firefox/IE across the board).

Is there a remedy for this?

I googled one tip that said to disable hardware acceleration, but it didn't make a difference.

When I opened up the Activity Monitor, processor usage was up to 100-150%, so something is not right, the G5 should chew through this.

2. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

You can do a forum search and you'll get more information about this. Basically it comes down to Flash on Mac isn't as efficient as it is on Windows. On my Windows Boot Camp partition Flash uses less computer resources than my Mac doing the same thing. The problem is a lot more noticeable on slower Macs.

Apparently there is a new update to Flash that is being tested which is promising better performance. Check the Mac Rumors main page. The article was posted on Nov 17th so scroll down to find it.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Flash sucks on Mac, because Adobe isn't really fixing it, and it only gets worse for PPC users.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That's a shame, I HOPE they fix it, but I doubt it...

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i hope they fix it too, my G5 struggled with flash based stuff too, even on a C2D MBP it certainly ramps up the cpu temps some :(