Slow hard drive all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by damado, Nov 23, 2007.

1. damado macrumors 6502

I've been having some problems lately on my mac pro. My dock doesn't do the magnify thing anymore and some other wierd stuff like not being able to drag music files anywhere in itunes. It also just generally feels sluggish.

I ran xbench and here is the result. My computer is the red one. If you scroll down you can see how abysmal my disk performance is.

Any ideas on what can be going on? I'm running 10.5.1.

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Download Onyx. Run every script you can in there. That may fix lot of issues. Another thing you an do is boot to safe mode (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393). When booting to safe mode a lot of drive issues are repaired. You could also run your disk management utility in Leopard and see what errors are repaired. If none of these fix it, try doing a fresh install. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad drive.

3. damado thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the help. I tried what you suggested.

I did an erase and install then backup from a second HD.

I even created a partition on a 3rd hard drive and installed a clean 10.5 on it with nothing else.

I still get the slow harddrive numbers in xbench and the dock still doesn't magnify with the settings turned on. Well, it will magnify when I click on something then once I click somewhere else the magnify goes away. I'm not sure what's going on.

With three different hard drives, it can't be the drives...but with the fresh install it can't be OSX...I don't get it.

At least after the erase and install I can move files around in itunes again...

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Don't lose any sleep over it damado, i tried xbench several times, got a different reading each time, as long as the disc's working and appears ok, no abnormalities, carry on as normal ;)

Haven't installed Leopard yet, but that may be where the Magnification of the dock problem lies

5. damado thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, just hate seeing all those mac pros with 260+ scores from xbench and me with 160 heh. I'll live with it.

I did figure out the wierd dock problem tho...and I'm assuming the itunes problem....one of my side mouse buttons was stuck down. Was wondering why everything I shift clicked it would do expose instead of the select all thing.

Ah well, live and learn...if your computer is doing wierd stuff, check for stuck mouse buttons and/or keys.