Slow HardDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, Nov 15, 2013.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hey all,

I have a late 2011 15" MBP.
    It's perfectly powerful for me, however, I think something is wrong with my harddrive...

I run Logic on it and I'm finding more and more that my system is chugging - the harddrive is not able to catch up with what I'm telling the system to load.
    I find this very unlikely as I'm not really stressing the patches and loading an enormous amount of sounds.

Further, I'm finding that booting up takes FOREVER now and often, my computer would stutter for half a second, beachballing for like a frame or two before resuming normal operations.
    If music is on during this time, the song would skip.

Is there a way for me to fix this? How do I check to see if my harddrive is performing correctly?

I have installed Onyx, checked the SMART status, verified disk and it all came out OK...

Any tips?

Thank you!

ps: I would go SSD, but I am finding a hard time justifying $400 on a harddrive! Ha.

Thanks all!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

If you wait for a sale you might end up with a Samsung 840 256GB SSD for as little as $150.

4. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

but is it possible that the problem is software related?
    something that i can fix as opposed to replacing something?
    ha, not just because im cheap...but I have an aperture database, a big itunes library and Logic + Mainstage + their plug ins are a PAIN to reinstall...

Thanks all!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hold command-option-r (all three at once) to boot to Internet Recovery and run a Disk Utility repair disk from there. Repair disk works better this way because you are not booted to the drive you are trying to repair.

6. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

will try that tonight and report back, thank you!