slow imac and non working itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flynnie2485, Oct 14, 2012.

1. flynnie2485 macrumors newbie

So im not very computer savvy and this is my first mac. Ive had it for about a year. I think its the g5. Lately its been running very slow, itunes wont sync my nano, and wont work with my itouch. And when I try to download a newer itunes it just says unable to and unknown error. Also cant download any flashplayer, so cant watch many videos, (no videos posted on facebook work). And its just really slow. Any help? thanks

2. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What version OS are you on? Click the Apple icon at the top left then About this Mac and it will show your OS version. The G5 is getting old and I am wondering if your version OS will not support newer iTunes versions required for the Nano. Same thing with Flash... maybe your OS is no longer supported.

5. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

>>fire discovered>>OS 10.5>>>>>>>>>>>>>today. :) Old. We are on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion now.

That is your problem. You need iTunes 10.7 for the new Nano and that requires at least OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 according to this.

Snow Leopard requires a Mac with an INtel processor... leaving you out in the cold with your G5. Confirm you have an old aluminum Mac Pro tower with the PowerPC G5 processor? Click the Apple logo at the top left and click About this Mac and tell me what it says. If this really is an old G5, I don't see a solution for you.

Same issue with Flash.

7. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

its the white mac with the clear plastic kind of rounded sides. For processor it says 1.8ghz power pc g5, model: powermac8,1. powerpc g5 (3.0).

8. blueroom, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The G5 is a relic, time to buy something new. A new Mac Mini is expected to be announced this Tuesday.

9. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    Its not the tower version.

----------

ok thanks, If im looking for a refurbished mac for under 800 what can I expect to find?

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'm in Canada so YMMV.

Any iMac or Mac mini with an i3 or i5 would be much faster, a recent 2009-2010 C2C isn't bad if you're willing to drop an SSD into it.

I've got a mid 2010 13" MBP with a 160GB Intel SSD (self installed, easy) running Mountain Lion. I've seen these go for around $800 correction $680 with stock 250GB HDD on Craigslist.

As for an iMac the all aluminum ones are fairly recent, all excellent.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... okay. Yep that is pretty old and will not run any of the newer OS X versions.

You can easily find a 2010 21.5" iMac for $800. There are some on eBay now in that range.

If you can stretch another couple hundred, Apple has the current model available in the refurb. store for $999. That would be direct from Apple with a full warranty. Seems worth the extra $200 to me if you can swing it.

[​IMG]

12. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok as a follow up , for now can i download an older itunes that will work with my g5 and my ipod touch?

----------

i pod touch is 3rd generation

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can DL an older version of iTunes, but there is no guarantee it will work with your Touch. Newer models of the Touch require newer versions of iTunes. Won't hurt for you to give it a try though.

14. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

it has i tunes 10.5 on it right now... shouldnt that work with my ipod touch 3g??

15. flynnie2485 thread starter macrumors newbie

succesfully installed itunes 10.6.3 and itouch is working.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Excellent! Glad it worked out. :)