Slow iMac... Tips?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jazzemmons, Sep 1, 2012.

1. jazzemmons macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 iMac that is creeping slow at everything it does. These are the specs of the computer: 4GB memory, 2 TB drive with 1 TB unused.

The computer is slow across the board - everything from internet browsing, to just switching apps, and even typing is accomplished at a lethargic pace. I have the computer hooked up to the internet by ethernet, and consistently has speed tested at around 38 MBPS. Yet, still will take 5 min to load a google search.

I have repaired my permissions, searched for trojans and other Misc. bad files using ClamXAV, tried emptying the cache, trash, desktop, removing .EXE files, and everything I can think of but it still wont free up. Is there anyone who has the same problems as me? And what can I do to make it faster?

2. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Defective RAM? If it takes time to get even a simple page, however, you may (also) have a network issue. Does this happen with all browsers? You may want to try this tool: http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Download and run SMART Utility to make sure it's not the HDD dying.

4. jazzemmons thread starter macrumors newbie

It stated I have a failing HDD

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Problem solved...now just pop off the side of the case....go to tiger direct get a new drive for 50 bucks and....wait no.

Apple Store, if not under apple care your looking at 300 dollars for a new hard drive,

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If it's no longer under Apple Care, have a look at ifixit.com to find HDD replacement instructions for your model, get a 3.5" HDD and install it yourself. Go to ifixit.com first because there are iMac models that need specific drives to be able to use the HDD thermal sensor.

While you're at it, you might consider replacing the DVD drive with an SSD for OS X and apps. You can pop the DVD drive into an external USB enclosure for slim optical drives.

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I'm either blind and can't find where you stated this, or you think you stated it and didn't.

In any case, installing a new HDD in an iMac isn't too awful hard. I replaced my stock HDD in my 2008 with a 1TB HDD, then replaced THAT with a 250GB SSD. It's about a 1/2 hr. job from start to finish.

Hopefully you can get a good clone off of your HDD, or have a recent backup somewhere to load onto your new HDD.

8. jazzemmons thread starter macrumors newbie

I tested it using the software, and then posted that. Probably should have worded that a bit differently, never posed that in the original post... Sorry for the mix-up. :eek: