Slow Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hondahank, Jul 7, 2012.

1. hondahank macrumors newbie

Hi, I have purchased a 24" Imac with a 500gb hard drive. I upgraded to 4 megs of ram but for some reason it gives me the spinning wheel a lot and for a long time (over 60 seconds once). The machine is a 3.06 ghz Intel core Duo and is running 10.6.8. I have cleaned it with Disk Warrior twice but to no avail.
    Is there something I can do, my old Power mac was better this!!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Did you buy it used? If so are you sure it's mechanically sound (could have a failing HD) AND are you positive you purchased the correctly specified RAM?

3. hondahank thread starter macrumors newbie

Slow imac

Yes I bought it used. How would I test the hard drive? Yes the ram is the exact one required for the machine.
    Thanks

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Disk Utility can test your drive but you need to boot from the DVD.

It could be a multitude of things. In order to get help you need to specify when it beachballs, what processes are running, what software you're using, etc etc.

And does it do this if you run it in safe mode?

5. hondahank thread starter macrumors newbie

What is safe mode? It seems to do it whenever it wants to but I have noticed that it seems to more often when there is more than 1 application open and when it is searching for a page on the net. It is running 10.6.8 and the machine is a 3.06 Intel dual core with 4 g ddr2 800 ram.