Slow internet after resetting wireless router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wesleym, Sep 8, 2009.

1. wesleym macrumors newbie

So I have a wireless router from cox cable (motorola surfboard SBV5220). I also have my airport extreme base station connected to the wired ethernet in the other half of my house. So I have the cox motorola router hard wired to the ethernet in-wall outlets. And When I plug my computer directly into the ethernet plug in the walls it works great and fast. So I have the airport extreme plugged into the ethernet port in the wall to use wireless on the other half of the house that the motorola router doesn't reach very well.

Everything worked great until the motorola router went out one day and we had to reset it. Once we reset it, the wireless internet from the airport extreme started acting up. Half the time it works fine and just as fast as it did before. The other half it doesn't load a full page. It's not even working at all really. I tried to see if the problem happens when using the internet from the motorola router, but it wasn't consistent. Sometimes the airport internet worked fine while the motorola was in use on another computer and sometimes it didn't. I haven't been able to figure out a consistent cause.

I also had the airport express plugged in as a wireless extended for the airport extreme, but I took that out as it was pretty unnecessary. Also, I got a new mac mini and need to run it off the airport extreme wireless also. When I turn off the mac mini and use my macbook with airport extreme the problem still persists.

I tried google-ing and then searching on this forum and got many unrelated topics. I would really appreciate anybody pointing me in the right direction. I am a semi-newb when it comes to networking, etc...

2. greentroop macrumors newbie

Try unplugging your Airport Extreme

Try unplugging your Airport Extreme and then plugging it back in.
    It is usually a good idea to start your network back up by plugging in hardware from the source first.
    In other words. First start your Motorola router. After your Motorola router finishes starting up and it has detected the internet, connect the power back to your airport extreme. After your airport extreme finishes starting up and the green light is solid, start up your mac.

If that does not work it could be another issue: That your wireless Motorola router and Airport extreme are both trying to assign IP address for your computers.