Slow Internet: AirPort Extreme behind DSL modem/router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marekkurlmann, Jan 27, 2009.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I've just moved and have had to switch ISPs. I have DSL service and the only modem option my ISP provides is an all-in-one modem/Wi-Fi router. I have an AirPort Extreme that I would like to use, but with this setup, unfortunately, I have to put it behind the modem/router.

I've used the AirPort Extreme both wirelessly and via Ethernet, and it is noticeably slow in connecting to Web sites. My browser often gets stuck on "Looking up xyz.com" or "Connecting to xyz.com" when it's plugged into the AE via Ethernet. When I plug directly into the DSL modem/router, sites are connected to and loaded immediately. The problem only exists when plugged into the AE. (Strangely, speed tests show that the AE downloads at nearly the same speed as the DSL modem/router, but this doesn't account for the noticeable delay in connecting to and the initial loading of Web pages).

I strongly suspect that this issue has something to do with basically creating a network behind a network. Are there any settings that can be changed to eliminate the slowness/delay-in-loading issue I'm having with the IE?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. JohnnyLemonhead macrumors regular

Hi, I have personally connected a few 802.11n Base Stations to a DSL modem in addition to connecting a Time Capsule to a DSL modem, and in either case everything worked fine. Try going back through the setup process; you might need to change some of the advanced settings.

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea which settings to tweak? And remember, this is a DSL router/modem-- a Wi-Fi and Ethernet router in addition to being a modem.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Disable DHCP on your Extreme in AirPort Utility. This allows the modem/router to do DHCP, NAT etc. while allowing your AEBS to essentially extend the network. You can have two different SSIDs (you can even make one b/g and the other N only) and since they're on the same subnet, all clients connected to either one will be able to communicate with each other (one big network).

Go into AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing > Off (Bridge Mode)

Here's a page for reference:
    http://tntluoma.com/apple/notes-on-a-dual-mode-airport-extreme-network/

Edit: For this to work, you should hard wire your AEBS's WAN port to a LAN port from your modem/router.

5. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

I think we're moving in the right direction. I already had the connection sharing set to "Off (Bridge Mode)" when I had the problem described in the original post.

Does having the connection sharing setting set to "Off (Bridge Mode)" mean that DHCP is off?

On the same settings panel, what does "Configuge IPv4: Using DHCP" mean? Is this something that could make a difference?

Thanks!

UPDATE: On the client list (DHCP client table) of my DSL modem/router, I can see all clients using the network--those attached both to the DSL modem/router, and those attached/wirelessly connected to my AE. So it appears as if bridge mode is set up correctly.

How to explain the slowness described in the original post? Is there a setting to modify in the DSL modem/router?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I honestly don't know how to help you with the specific modem/router, but I can suggest a google search for the model number and see if others are having issues as well. If you could provide the make and model number, that might get you more specific help from others.

The DHCP is working as you seem to have described it. And since it seems to be giving the same issue via both ethernet and wifi, it wouldn't just be a wireless issue... I know it's elementary, but have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware for your AEBS? Also, have you restarted your modem/router after plugging in the AEBS? And forgive this final question, but your modem/router is connected to your AEBS via the WAN port, correct?