Slow internet and wifi loss?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SyncSpin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Hey guys, I have a brand new macbook air 13 I purchased yesterday. So far I am happy with it but I have a few issues that are starting to annoy me.

1. Wifi when laptop is first on, or out of sleep has to be turned off and on a couple times to regain the wireless. I upgraded to 10.7.1 but this fixed nothing. This is my MAIN issue.

2. My speedtest says I am going 5meg roughly. But I am paying for 15 meg. My PC right next to this gets 15 easy, as does my other laptop. Is this common?

Thanks

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

What model/brand of wireless router are you using?

3. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

It is an Arris wireless emta. Its provided by my cable provider.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is just purely anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt, but my observation with Apple products is that they sometimes don't play nice with XYZ routers. Sure, every other device I had worked fine, but my (insert Apple device here) seems to have a problem. That was the primary reason I bought a Time Capsule and have it as my primary wireless access point. I had a Netgear wireless router, and my Verizon no-name router that connects me to FIOS. For some strange reason, that router doesn't work as good with my iPad/iPod Touch/Mac as does the Time Capsule. I am sure there is some technical explanation, but as a consumer I think it blows... :cool:

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

I've also noticed my Air is slightly more picky about what wifi routers it will play nicely with vs my windows based laptops using an Intel based wifi chipset. I was at my cousins house a while back and my wifi kept cutting out, the connection was active but it would not pass traffic after a few minute of use. I'd have to disable/enable the radio to "fix" it. Eventually I tried power cycling the router, even though none of the other wireless devices in the house had trouble. Sure enough, power cycling the router fixed my connectivity issues.

6. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Have you run software update to 10.7.1?

7. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

Peter> Are you just making a joke? The text you quoted had the answer in it. ;)

Yes I updated to 10.7.1.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

The same thing happens to me and I have an AEBS

9. GrendelsBane macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues with my 2011 13" Air. Wi-fi sporadically drops out. I also have a Mac mini, an iPhone, an iPad, two Windows 7 desktops and a HP laptop. These devices have no issues whatsoever. I'm using a Netgear DGN2000.

Even turning wi-fi off and on again doesn't help, nor did the 10.7.1 update. It asks for my network password and rejects it! Going into network settings and all the 'tech stuff' (IP addresses etc) are blank.

When it occurs, I usually hook it into the iPhone's personal hotspot, which works beautifully.

But eventually, it all spontaneously fixes itself as if nothing had ever happened... until next time!

It's really driving me nuts

10. skeevewiz macrumors newbie

still issues

i still get wifi connections drops and generally very slow speeds with intermitent fast speeds. this is after loading 10.7.1. i was ok with it knowing that lion was new...but now that they have released a patch to fix it and there are still issues...that is generally disappointing. :confused:

11. bad1550 macrumors regular

Just picked up new 13" today and I lost my wifi signal twice already.

I updated to 10.7.1

12. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Count me in. I've lost Wifi at least once a day. It's also happened to my MBP before my MBA. I have a D-Link 665 Wireless Router. I just reset it and hope that things clear up. I've also updated to Lion 10.7.1 as well with no difference.