Slow Internet Browsing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cm8888, Jan 28, 2008.

1. cm8888 macrumors newbie

I have an imac intel 2.16 c2d with leopard, and suddenly starting about 1 day ago, my internet speed has really dropped and has even become intermittently "out".

I initially thought it was my isp, but found that my laptop worked fine using the same wireless signal from my router.

Even more strange, internet explorer on the bootcamp on my imac works perfectly too, quickly loading up pages that were taking 30 seconds to load on the mac osx side.

Also, I did try downloading a couple of files and they downloaded quite fast.

I tried testing my connection using speedtest.net and it was fast both up and down.

The applications that are SLOW and have unstable connections are:

Safari
    Firefox
    Itunes (scanning and downloading podcasts)
    Mail

I tried turning on and off the firewall, no change. I cleared the Safari cache and reset, no change.

I've run the network connection diagnostics tool numerous times, no dice. The only strange thing I could see is that usually when I start up the diagnostics, either the second last item "internet" or the last item "server" is yellow instead of green. But when I proceed a step or two more, they turn green. The signal is strong from the wireless router. When they turn green, I try Safari or Firefox again right away, but no improvement.

Please help!

Thanks

2. cm8888 thread starter macrumors newbie

strange, fixed

So my internet problem lasted about 30 hours, and then upon returning home from work today, I try out Safari and everything is suddenly back to normal. Fast as ever.

What a mystery...

Anyone else had this happen?

3. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I've had lots of wireless internet problems with Leopard. All I can say is that it probably has something to do with this and that the 10.5.2 update will (hopefully/probably) fix any intermittent problems you are having.

Glad it's back up to speed for now!