Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I live in Taiwan and am using an 8M ADSL connection. I thought it would be quite fast, but when I play games on the internet (COD2), I am usually the guy that has the highest ping (300+) and I notice that other Asian players have better pings.

I tested my download speed using knology and I got the following results:
Download speed: 123 kbps
Upload speed: 489 kbps

I have to say that the test result is very similar whether I connect to the router via ethernet or wirelessly (811.b)

Why is my upload speed faster than my download speed?
Is this what one could expect from an 8M ADSL connection?
Is this slow download speed due to the fact that I live in Taiwan?
Is there a way I can adjust my settings to improve the download speed?
If I buy an airport express (either g or n), will it improve my download speed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Knology.jpg
    Knology.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 63

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Frankly speaking, it could be the case. I did not set up any password on my wireless router. I am not sure how to do it. I will do some research, secure my router and see whether it improves things.

Wow, that's almost certainly your problem. Someone's probably hogging your connection. Always, always, always secure your wireless networks!!!

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Well, I am on the webpage where I can configure my Netgear MR814 router and all the options are a bit arcane to me.

I had already listed the devices that can access my router (powerbook + iMac) and thought it would prevent anybody else from accessing my router.

Should I also set a Security Encryption (WEP) key?

By the way, on the configuration page, there is only one device attached. Does this mean nobody else is using my connection?

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I messed up my router trying to secure it. I can't connect to it anymore and I cannot access the router settings (http://192...).

Now I remember why I did not set a WEP password in the first place. It is too easy for the non-initiated to goof.

I guess I will buy an Airport Express 802.11g tomorrow (they are probably easier to set-up) and throw the one I have.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Ah, the infamous Netgear MR814. I had two of those...they both bit the dust. They too had issues when we attempted to enable wireless security, and if I remember correctly, they didn't support WPA. WEP is pretty much worthless, it can be hacked in seconds. Any new router today will support WPA. You don't have to get the APX; something like the Linksys WRT54G will work well too. But the APX will be nice, and you'll have N, but I don't think you'll get any benefit from that.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Which replacement then?

The new airport extreme is not available in Taiwan before May. Therefore, it is either the Airport Extreme G or the Linksys WRT54G.

Is the Linksys WRT54G easy to configure for a non-professional?

The AE is probably much more expensive here in Taipei, but I think it might be easier to configure with my Macs. I have:
- a 12" Powerbook G4 1.5Mhz and
- an iMac 20" Core Duo 2.0Mhz.

I really want a hassle-free router. I spent all yesterday trying to fix my Netgear MR814 and I do not want to go through this again.

Thanks!

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Since you won't enjoy the luxury of N anyway, the AE will probably be easier to set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.