SLOW Internet Imac 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marjiemorical, Oct 15, 2010.

1. marjiemorical macrumors newbie

Hi~
    I just moved to a new town and had to change my internet provider and router, I switched from a regular net gear, to a net gear extended range N. I am getting really slow internet speed. 3wks ago this thing ran fast and great, now i'm having a hard time opening up Google. i did a speed test and it varies, download is at about 8-10 and update is 1.5-2. I cant get wow or any other game to play without HUGE lag. Any ideas? Will reinstalling my OS help?

2. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

No it doesn't sound like your OS needs to be reinstalled.
    Bypass your router and plug the computer directly to the modem.
    What does your bill say for the speed of your connection from your ISP?
    also open up the Network Utility (search in spotlight) and run a tracert test to www.apple.com for example

3. marjiemorical thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for your help.

I did run the cord directly to the mac, but that didnt improve anything. i have up 20meg for speed. I am doing the utility test you suggested, but it 62 and counting.Traceroute has started…

traceroute to e3191.c.akamaiedge.net (184.87.93.15), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

64 * * *
    i did also try setting my internet to run off my old netgear router, but again that didnt help?

4. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

Judging by your tracert Do you have Mediacom for your ISP?
    If so,(or even if you don't) It sounds like the card that your on is oversold.
    You need to contact them and ask them the downstream utilization. Also, post your modem signal levels as they may be out of spec.
    You can do that @ 192.168.1.1 and posting them here.
    I'm also going to ask the mods to move this thread as this sounds like an Internet issue and not an iMac issue to the troubleshooting fourm :)

5. marjiemorical thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have Mediacom, just moved here.
    What is a downstream utilization? And what do i do with that info?
    And where do i find my modem signals at, i have that page up but it doesn't show me the signals?
    This is what i see for router status?
    Hardware Version WNDR3700
    Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA

I

6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a first step, manually set the MTU within your new Mac. MTU is set to "automatic" but sometimes it has difficulties setting itself. If wondering, I had to manually set MTU within my new iMac - in order to make its internal connection faster.

After MTU is set and your iMac is restarted, do execute a speed test. Many ISPs provide their own speed test utility. If your ISP doesn't have one, use http://www.speedtest.net/ instead.

Good luck!!!!

---------

For MTU information, surf:

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu.shtml
    http://www.zen.co.uk/Support/Tools.aspx

----------

To manually set MTU value within my mid-2010 iMac 21.5" (that can also be used for a MBP), I used a free MTU size Discovery / Set utility. With this tool (saved in my iMac's Applications - Utility folder), I manually set its MTU on all ports (ethernet, wireless, firewire, etc.) only once. Set it once and its done.

This script can be found at:

http://tumbleseed.wordpress.com/products/set-mtu/

Note: Click on its "Download the Set MTU 0.2 script application (zip)" text - to obtain the MTU script file.

If wondering, I changed my iMac's MTU size to 1492 (same as my ADSL Modem / Wireless "2Wire 1701 box" MTU "fixed value" size) and it works great. Much, much faster then allowing background "automatic" MTU setting task.

7. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

I'm sorry try this one 192.168.100.1
    Downstream utilization refers to the amount of bandwidth on a particular card
    The way cable technology works is that there is a node in a given area and on that node is cards. On each cards could be 100 or so users sharing the bandwidth (just a guess)
    Look for something that says diagnostic.
    Since you have Mediacom (as do I)
    A site I use for direct support from Mediacom as the phone support can be hell
    is http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/mediacom
    You can sign up for a free account there an send a message to a user by the name of "MediacomChad" and or "BAINCH"

For security reasons I recommend you erase your router information as this is a public forum and people don't need to see your IP address and the MAC Address etc. as that could lead to trouble.

8. marjiemorical thread starter macrumors newbie

Grr i am so confused. This worked perfect before the move!
    Do i ask them for a different utilization?

You said192.168.100.1

But it didnt give me my modem signal?
    I'll have to work on this is the morning.
    Would it be worth it have someone from media com come and fix it?
    Or is there a way for me to even fix it?

9. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

Don't panic Yes this is fixable
    The link above would be a better resource for you to post in.
    When you get time post there because the issue you describe is over utilization or signal related and that site is a better site because as I said earlier, There are techs that monitor that board that can fix things faster then the phone support people can usually.

I post on that site as well so i'll look for your post sometime tomorrow.
    Describe what is going on and I or someone will assist you
    I DO NOT work for Mediacom

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/mediacom