Slow internet in Lion, fast in Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smeg36, Jan 3, 2012.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

The last month or so the internet speeds at my work when using Lion have been really slow. It just happened one day when I came in. Nothing had changed, that I know of, from the day before. I don't have access to the routers, but it happens both over wifi and ethernet. I've tried using Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

When I run a speedtest from www.speedtest.net in any of those browsers, I get around 1.5 MB/s. So the actual internet speed isn't slow, just page loads using Lion. To further frustrate, when I run Parallels and browse from it, the pages load just as they should.

I've searched, and tried changing settings in my Network Preferences, but can't get this working quickly. When I use the internet at home, connected to a Time Capsule, it works just fine. So there's something specific to the Mac browsers and the network here at work that just don't like each other. Without having access to the network/router settings, is there anything I can do to try and get my browsing speed back to what it used to be? I'd really prefer to not use Parallels every time I need to browse the internet.

2. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody have any idea I could try to alleviate this problem? Using Chrome in Parallels is working, but I miss my two finger swipe to go forward and back, and would much rather not have Parallels always open just to browse.

3. gymbrall macrumors newbie

Here's what worked for me

I had almost the same problem. Slow browsing in Lion, but fast browsing in Windows running under Virtual Box. This was on a Mac Mini purchased in early January. By slow browsing, I mean, that I would see a delay before the page would load. Pages were very slow to refresh. I could bring up a browser in Lion, type in hulu.com, wait 10 seconds, go to virtual box, open chrome, type in hulu.com and I would be watching a video under virtual box before hulu had loaded under Lion. Occasionally, a site would just spin as if it was loading forever. This was true regardless of what browser I used. Actual internet speed was not adversely affected as once I had a speed test site loaded, I was routinely showing about 12-15Mibs down and 1Mib up.

Things that seemed to modify the problem: Rebooting would occasionally seem to make a difference for a short period of time. Booting into Safe Mode seemed to make a difference as well, but it did not fix the issue.

What made the most difference and seemed to fix the issue:
    When I bought the Mac Mini, it had two 1GB sticks of RAM and I had pretty much immediately purchased one 4GB stick of identical speed RAM and swapped out a 1GB stick for it. A few days ago I purchased an additional 4GBs of RAM and got rid of the last 1GB stick, and I haven't had the problem since.

I'll admit that this makes so sense to me, as I would have thought that any memory issues that would affect OS X would affect VirtualBox as well, but that's what worked for me.

4. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what the network administrator at my work did, but one day I came in and my speeds were back to normal. So I guess it was something on the network end that only effected Macs.