Slow internet is killing me!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theironist08, Oct 13, 2008.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

I use my macbook in college and at home. When I arrive in college in the morning I change location to enable the proxy. Then when I come home , I change location to automatic. (I only use WiFi). Ever since Sunday, my internet has been going soooo slow! It took me around 7 minutes to get to this forum from google! I ran a Sophos scan yesterday and nothing was detected?

I honestly don't know where to start with this one. I generally use Firefox but im experiencing the same problem with Safari.
    Any suggestions?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Other computers in the house have the same issue? did you call your internet provider?

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

may be you have DNS resolution issues. Try to set the DNS to the ones from dyndns.org and see if it improves anything.

4. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Make sure that nobody is stealing your signal and using up all your bandwidth. That can happen if you don't put a limit on a torrent application. Also, try just resetting your router. I have to do that every few weeks to keep my internet from slowing down.

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

slight over exaggeration on the thread title perhaps?

6. thecypher macrumors regular

Check how many other people are using your home wifi connections without your knowledge. Rebooting your DSL/Cable modem also sometimes helps.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

What are your DNS servers? Changing them to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 really helped.

Do you have other wireless devices on your network (and is it secure)? What is your router?

Knowing specifics helps a lot. Slow wireless is a common problem for Macbooks, and it takes a fair amount of searching and trial and error to fix it. But everyone has their own reasons why their wireless is slow.

8. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

-theres no other computers using this connection in the house at the moment. -My sisters laptops browser was running smoothly earlier on.
    - How do you make sure nobody is using up your bandwidth ?

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Go to your router's preferences and see if anyone else is connected. Also make sure you have WPA2 security turned on (it's the fastest and most secure).

10. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

It's called hyperbole! So, stop trying to be a funny man.

Can people please explain, more thoroughly, how I try all these methods?

11. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

For thorough explanations of how to check your router setup, you'll need your router manual rather than help from here. What you need to do depends very much on what router you have.