Slow internet on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Beardster, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Beardster macrumors newbie

Hi all

I'm still loving my iMac (aluminium 24") some 6 months in. Certainly never going back to windows).

I do however have a problem. I've been having horrifically slow internet performance - particularly browsing, but to some extent video speed on Skype and also Google Earth. I put this down to my router so got a Wireless N model (replacing an older Netgear g model), and if anything it got worse :(.

I have read a lot about an apparent Leopard problem with DNS lookups so have now specified my DNS servers to those provided by Open DNS.

However, it didn't help. I was about to throw in the towel when I decided to turn off N mode on the router (so back to G only). This is much improved - so there was something weird about the router / iMac N connection that wasn't performing well. The iMac is a long way from the router in a large house.

Despite this - I am still disappointed at the Mac's browsing speed compared to a PC (for and experiment I tried a PC in the same room and it was noticeably faster - ditto using Google Earth the PC (which is a much slower CP and has less RAM) was much faster at pulling in the data).

Any more ideas? Much appreciated

Marcus

2. holden15 macrumors member

I have a 20" iMac. The internet is incredibly fast! It must be something with your router.

I have boot camp on my iMac (because my brother needs to use windblows sometimes) and I tryed downloading the same webpage with Safari on the Mac, and with Safari in windows. The Mac was much faster.

3. descartes macrumors 6502

some other equipment may be interfering with the wifi. do you have a wireless mouse?

4. The Beardster thread starter macrumors newbie

No other wireless devices

Thanks for your replies guys. I have no other wireless devices, and anyway - the fact that a PC Is faster in the same location is the key point I think. Other than DNS settings on the router I don't know what else to try. any suggestions? I have read in a lot of places that Leopard is much slower than windows to browse on the internet - but I'm not technically minded enough to understand why, or ho to fix it.

To be fair the difference is not that significant now, but is noticeable on certain pages - Leopard seems to temporarily stall on the "www" part of an address, spend time looking it up, and then bring up the page. On Windows - it is instant.

5. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

What brand is your router? Most people seem to forget most if not all N equipment is draft so there are some issues of compatibility between chipsets and brands...

6. The Beardster thread starter macrumors newbie

Tenda

It's a cheapy one from Ebuyer - but gets terrefic customer feedback - incuding from Mac Owners which is why I bought it. You might be right though - I'm running out of ideas.

7. tylermoney macrumors newbie

Are you using a wireless signal for your internet? If so, I had a very similar situation. It turned out to be my router. I got a new router that supported "n" and now I"m flying.