Slow Internet on wired connection, fast wireless on same network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by armhol, Jul 15, 2009.

1. armhol macrumors member

Hi,

My Internet has just been upgraded from 2MB/s to 10MB/s. To confirm the upgrade I have used www.speedtest.net to test my upload/download speeds with Firefox and Safari. I have 2 computers on my network which consists of a cable modem connected to a white airport base station with 128 bit WEP encryption in 802.11 b/g compatible mode. The 2 computers are a dual 2.8 ghz MacPro which is wired directly into the Airport base station by Ethernet and an iMac 1.83 Intel core 2 duo. The much faster MacPro only achieves a download speed of 5.5MB/s over its wired connection while the slower iMac achieves 9.8MB/s - very close to the advertised speed over its wireless connection. These are consistent speeds not one offs so I am wondering why the difference? The MacPro is my main machine so I'd like to have the best speed possible on that. Any ideas? What can I try?

Thanks for reading all that, I've put in as many details as possible, I'm really stumped!

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Same version and release of OS X on both machines?

3. armhol thread starter macrumors member

Yes, same system on both machines OS X 10.5.7. The Airport base station is running software version 5.7. I just connected the MacPro directly to the cable modem bypassing the Airport base station completely and no change, I'm still only getting 5.5MB/s download.