Slow internet over Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bcave098, Jul 3, 2016.

  1. bcave098, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

    bcave098 macrumors 6502

    bcave098

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    Location:
    Northern British Columbia
    #1
    I'm stumped. I have a 4th gen. AirPort Time Capsule (ATC) that is connected directly to my DSL modem (it's a PPPoE connection at 25 Mbps) that provides Wi-Fi for my apartment. My iMac connects to the ATC via a cat 6 cable and it gets 25 Mbps via speedtest.net. However, devices (iPhones, MacBook Pro, etc) connected by Wi-Fi only get 3-8 Mbps down, but connect to the ATC at 145-300 Mbps. The same issue happens on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, even when I'm just a few feet from the ATC.

    ScreenShot2.jpg

    Wireless diagnostics warns me there's some crowding, channel-wise, but even if I use an non-crowded channel, it's the same thing. I had an AirPort Express (802.11n 1st gen.) extending the 2.4 GHz network, and tried disabling the extension (and just joining the network) but also nothing changed.

    ScreenShot.jpg

    Most of the settings on the ATC are default, except a DHCP reservation for my Xbox One and some ports forwarded to it for Xbox Live (53, 88, 3074, 3544) and it's set to use a different name for the 5 GHz network (obviously). DNS wise, I'm using the DNS servers provided by the ISP, and if I change a client's DNS to, say, Google DNS the improvement is negligible. Also, I haven't experienced any issues with speed doing file transfers and whatnot over Wi-Fi.

    Both Macs run OS X 10.11.5, the iPhones (6s and 5c) run iOS 9.3.2. ATC and AirPort Express firmware are 7.6.7.

    Any ideas on how to increase the internet throughput over Wi-Fi? (Also, enjoy the Arrested Development themed network name).
     
  2. bcave098, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

    bcave098 thread starter macrumors 6502

    bcave098

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    Location:
    Northern British Columbia
    #3
    While certainly a good idea, I did forgot to mention that I have IPv6 set to local-link only. Resetting the MTU seems like something that can only be done on OS X so it doesn't help with the iOS devices.

    Edit: I did try that on the MacBook Pro and it sees a noticeable improvement. I decided to try to reset the network settings on the iPhones and it seems to be a significant improvement. Thanks for the idea though.
     

Share This Page