Slow internet, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UmaThurman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hey everyone, I have a c2d mbp and my internet at home has been very slow for me, ridiculously slow. I know it's just me because all my other roommates have dell laptops and their internet is alot faster than mine. I started noticing this problem a few days ago. Could Onyx have possibly done anything to make it slower? Thanks for any input, this slow ass internet is driving me nuts!!!

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I was actually going to suggest Onyx to try to make things faster. My mother-in-law was having very slow browsing times even when she brought it over to our house. I ran a few of the scripts in Onyx and she was fixed.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I had a similar problem when I installed Leopard on my iMac G5. I ended up having to specify the DNS (i think, not at my mac to check right now) and then everything what good to go. You can usually get these by logging in to the wireless/wired router and finding it in there.

Sorry i can't be more specific but i am on campus right now.

4. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

kfordham, what scripts did you exactly run on onyx? i'm not exactly sure which scripts to run that would help my internet run faster

5. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

okay, awesome prostuff. my computer seems okay on campus as well, im typing on it here. it's just back at home where it's sooooooo slow. if you could let me know what i should do with the dns stuff later i would really appreciate it!!

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It would be great If i could get some details on how you are connecting to the internet. I assume you are on a wireless connection at home but the steps should be not much (if any) different for a wired connection.

I will try to lay it out as plain as i can so if you get lost on a part let me know.

First open system preferences>network. Now you need to find the IP number for your router (mine is 192.168.2.1). Now in your web browser type http://the.number.goes.here and hit enter. It should take you to the login page for your router. Now, i don't know what kinda router you have or who set it up but you are going to have to figure out the admin name and password. After you have logged in you need to look through the many menus and stuff that will be there. You should be looking for numbers with the label DNS Server (or something along that line, mine are labeled Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server). Now write those numbers down or copy them or whatever. Go back to system preferences>network and then click the advanced button. From there click the DNS tab. There should be a little '+' button for you to click and add the DNS Server numbers in there. Go ahead and do that and then hit the 'ok' button and any other buttons that might say apply or the like. That should be it and you can close everything else out.

Hope that helps

7. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Mine is the same way. When I went home, my sisters iBook/Macbook FLEW, but I had so much lag. Hopefully it's better now.