Slow internet speeds on macs but not pc??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pugpuppydude, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

We just signed up for a new internet service (cable) and bought a new linksys E1500 router. The disturbing part is that our old dell laptop that is running xp is clocking in at around 10mbps while the iMac and macbook air are only getting 0.36mbps. I talked to linksys customer support for two hours and they gave up and said just to get a different router. Has anyone else had this issue with their router and their macs? I know that it is just a mac issue because the pc is zooming, while the macs are not. By the way, all devices get10mbps while connected via ethernet. It is only applicable to the wireless. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks you ahead of time,
    Mike.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It would be a Mac issue if all or most Macs act this way. They don't. What are your wireless settings on the Macs and the Windows PCs?

3. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Well he has this issue persisting across the two Macs in his household so apparently it is Apple related somehow.

4. eric.john macrumors member

very strange. My Macbook Pro get's amazing connectivity as oppose to my Sony Vaio Desktop which is running wireless all so. Hows the wireless settings for your two Apple computers.

5. ctyhntr, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

What does Network Utility tell you for your Airport speed? N is 54M/B, and we want to make sure your router isn't defaulting to the slowest wifi speed while connecting to your mac. You can find Network Utility in Applications, Utilities folder.

Another setting is MTU. In the old days before automatic settings, websites that test your network speed may also give you recommend settings (half/full duplex, optimal MTU setting) based on your surfing habits. Changing the MTU size was useful if you're downloading large files.

Look into your Ethernet settings for Airport, to find the MTU value setting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2532

6. iamzaki macrumors newbie

I upgraded to the latest firmware, and now I, too, have terrible internet speed via wireless on my Linksys E1500. I'm using a macbook pro, latest version of everything.

HELP! :( :mad:

7. iamzaki macrumors newbie

I returned the router to the store and got store credit. I then went to the Apple store and bought an Airport Extreme. It works great, I got 23Mbps/sec now :)

8. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Fancy that.

I've been saying for over a year and a half that for some reason the Apple computers prefer the Apple routers over non-Apple routers for some reason. Yet you still get people that say they are a ripoff...not when you're an all-Apple shop they aren't.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are both mistaken. The Wi-Fi signal from an Apple Airport looks exactly like the Wi-Fi signal from any other operational wireless router. However, Airport routers are more durable than the competition. As I posted in an earlier thread, my experience with Linksys routers is that they tend to go bad after 18 months. I thought that was normal for routers. I have since learned that it may be normal for Linksys, but it is not normal for Apple Airports. The fact that iamzaki's Apple Airport works better than his Cisco Linksys E1500 probably has less to do with his Mac's love life than it has to do with a subtle flaw in his old router.

My current router is a Cisco Linksys E3000. It works just fine with all of my Macs, iPhones, and iPad. I have owned it for about 15 months. So, I am counting its days.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

What I know is this.

I've owned a router from every major manufacturer. If you haven't, you can't really speak on what does or does not work.

A Belkin N+ router will "work". The Airports/Time Capsule will work better, regarding signal strength and ability to connect and stay connected, for Apple computers. Period.

I'm sure your Linksys works. But I can also guarantee that an Extreme will work better at different ranges.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are mixing different issues and arriving at an ill-informed conclusion. Different routers are configured differently out of the box. The major issue here is that each manufacturer choses which ports are open and which are closed by default. These choices are user-changeable. The issue of range is completely different. This is an issue of antenna design. The user cannot change the router's built-in antenna, though one may purchase [or build] and install longer range antennas. Range is also a function of the environment in which the signal is broadcast. Neither of these issues have anything to do with Apple computer preferences for one router over another.

To the contrary, Wi-Fi routers are manufactured using cards from a limited number of manufacturers--primarily Lucent Technologies (now Alcatel Lucent). The differences among routers of a particular RF band are largely the design and implementation of supporting hardware. The signals are the same.

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The OP hasn't been back but he needs to provide a few more details on his internet access setup and router settings.

13. ijha macrumors regular

ijha

How interesting. My linksys router died exactly after 18 months. I'll be heading to the Apple Store for the AE.

14. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Step 1: You're WAY off base.
    Step 2: Instead of creatively editing, why not try to speak about what you know? I get it...you've never used an Airport thus you have nothing to go off of. How about you TRY one and see what people are trying to tell you instead of assuming things?

It's been proven. Time and again. By numerous people. Apple computers work substantially better with Airport routers than non-Airport routers. That has nothing to do with ports or radios. IF radios were the issue the Airport router would also be superior for PCs. It isn't.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

None is so blind as he who will not see.