Slow internet speeds with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cocky jeremy, Nov 25, 2014.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I pay for 75 Mb/s download speeds. I get about 20 Mb/s on my TC. When I go direct to my modem I get 72-78 Mb/s. I set my TC up with port forwarding for Xbox to have an open NAT type, so I thought that might be the issue. I reset to factory settings.. same thing.

I bought a Linksys EA6400 and the speeds were great, but it never worked properly. If the Internet went out, or I changed a single settings, WiFi would show up, but I could get no connection. I had to factory reset 3 times in the first full day of owning it. Tech support with Linksys walked me through setup and it worked fine.. until the modem needed to be reset,or I changed any setting at all. They couldn't even figure out the issue.. so I'm back to the slow TC.

Any ideas on why this thing is so slow? It's a 2011 or 2012, 802.11N model.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are the slow speeds on the Time Capsule only occurring on Wi-Fi or on Ethernet as well? What is your ISP and what modem are you using? Linksys hardware has been pretty poor lately with a few exceptions like the WRT-1900AC.

3. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

WiFi and ethernet. My ISP and modem are fine because I've tested straight from the modem to my iMac. Out of my 75 Mb/s I pay for, I typically hit about 78 as the average. Same as what I hit with the Linksys. It's something in the TC, for sure. Buying a newer model today and seeing if that fixes it. If not, I'll return and look for a Linksys that does work, I guess. lol.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I have a similar issue with that time capsule - not sure if it will be the same for you. I noticed my speeds were dropping but when I connected to the DSL modem directly, the speeds were fast. So I spent a long time trying to figure out what the problem was with the TC. It ended up being the DSL modem itself, I just hadn't used it for long enough to realize that eventually the speeds would drop. So after shutting down the TC and using the modem exclusively for a week I finally figured it out. When I reset the modem, the speeds go back to normal for anywhere from 1-7 days until it needs another reset. Switching providers in a few days :)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sometimes, different ISP equipment functions better with certain settings with others. Is it a simple modem or a modem/router combo unit? What ISP?

6. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I doubt it's the modem. It was replaced last week and the TC has done the same thing on both.

Just a modem. Armstrong is the ISP. They've always been really reliable and you typically get speeds ABOVE what you pay for. Actually, they upped my speeds from 50/5 to 75/5 for free, and sometime in 2015 that'll actually be upped to 100/15 at the old 50/5 price. We recently had issues and they came in and found a hardware issue, but it was for my entire neighborhood. That's been fixed and it still seems to be an issue with my TC, as modem to iMac speeds are even better than before.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The reason why I ask is that with Comcast, some people would notice speed issues if they did not configure 6to4 Relays on the AirPort.

8. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Bought the newest model TC.. same thing. Lucky to hit 25 MB/s. Not a clue what's going on with it, but I'm done with Apple networking products. Pure junk.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There has to be some sort of incompatibility issue here going on as Apple networking products are some of the most reliable out there. I have a network of AirPorts that handles 150+ clients each day without issue at school. Before you had the issues where Armstrong had to swap the modem, did it ever reach full speed?

Is Armstrong IPv6 ready?

10. cocky jeremy, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I always did until recently when my older TC starting going to crap. My girlfriend's iMac does get up closer to 40 MB/s though. Still barely half of what we should get, but a lot better than my typical 20-25.

EDIT: iPhone 6 Plus is hitting nearly 50 MB/s. WTF. Ugh.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If Armstrong is starting to move to IPv6 you may need to configure the AirPort for those settings. I have seen a similar issue with a person whose AirPort was connected to a regular SurfBoard SB6141. Turns out he was in a 6 to 4 Relay test area and the speeds were greatly cut for whatever reason. Configuring with the proper settings from Armstrong may help if that is the case.

12. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Seems like, for the most part, speeds are closer to what they should be when wired now. Kind of pointless for anything not wired in though. Armstrong had an issue last night. Still seems weird WiFi stuff is only hitting about 50 though.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your posts are confusing since you're using bits and bytes (b and B) interchangeably. Have you set up the TC to use the 5 GHz channel?

Most useful would be if you could connect to your normal router, opt click on the wifi and take a screenshot of the details shown. Then repeat when connected to the TC.

14. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I meant Mb/s. I can't type half the time. lol. You'd never see me complain if I got 50 MB/s, lol.

Attached Files:

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Really odd then. It's using AC and the 5 GHz channel. It's connected at max possible AC transmission rate. Your RSSI is pretty good when compared to mine right now (the lower to 0 the better on that scale). I don't see anything obviously wrong there, so there is no reason for such slow wifi speeds.

How have you connected this? Normally I use the ISP provided router to connect to the internet, then I switch off its wifi and connect the Airport Extreme (you could do the same with a TC) into the ISP router and set it into bridge mode.

Do you have two computers in the house to test the internal transfer rate by copying a file from one to the other using both routers? That way we can at least figure out if the issue is with the wifi on the ATC.