Slow Internet, tried all the usual fixes - ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VesicpP, Mar 22, 2011.

1. VesicpP macrumors newbie

I'm actually posting for my brother, but, I have observed.

Hardware: 2010 13" MBP, 4GB RAM

The Problem: The internet operates slow. Gmail takes forever to send, youtube vids pause then start again, websites seem slow to load (like CNN).

Speedtest: 9 MBPS Down/ .4 up
    Ping: average 12 ms

Router, had a Belkin N router, now replaced it with a NETGEAR - N600 Dual Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB

Called Time Warner, the confirmed no issues. Called Netgear, they went through and changed channels and confirmed overall settings.

Tried Open DNS numbers.

Tried the 4.2.2.1 /.2 numbers as mentioned in other forum posts.

The computer spends 90% of it's time using the web, MS Office, Final Draft and sometimes Lightroom. Nothing odd running in the background either.

We have also run Onyx and cleaned out all the caches, fixed permissions and so on.

The only thing possible, is the netgear is set up with 2 hotspots - one which works for his iphone and one for the computer. Something about one at 2.4 and one at 5 GHz - i can't recall exactly.

Anyway, any thoughts? Thanks.

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

you can hold option and click on the wifi icon at the top and see what transmit rate you are getting see if its that

3. moel macrumors 6502

Tried setting the dns numbers to the ones that the modem is grabbing from your ISP?

4. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

Have you tested other laptops with your router and have you tested your macbook pro on someone elses router?

I think that would help narrow down the problem (internet service vs. computer hardware.)

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I would do that first and report back. Meanwhile, are there any other computers on the network that you could confirm with?